We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ledebouria cooperi  (Read 7500 times)

Wim de Goede

• Kwekerij De Schullhorn
Re: Ledebouria cooperi
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
I am sorry for this late reply but I had some troubles with internet.
Maggi I am clad we know now the ride name of that Ledebouria,from now on it will be L. ovatifolia, it gives some offsets like you say but not much,I cross my fingers it looks we get seed on it , I will let you know later.

Luit I sow your pot Ledeboutia cooperibut then I thought "that is early"but also the condition of growing on pots or in the open is very different but indeed the flowers look simmilerbut the leafs are total different

PeterT

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
Wim, your L ovatifolia is lovely. :o
 My L cooperi is similar to Shelaghs and had about six flower spikes this year, the first time it has flowerd for me ;D. It has a lot wider red stripes on the leaves- not much green. it is in full sun and I try to remember to keep it waterd in summer, it is completly cold hardy here
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
definitely!

At our shows I have only seen the cooperi
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
OK folks I finally got round to examing the port of Ledebouria cooperi.  I got the pot out before Christmas late November and as it was still full of roots I put it back again assuming the roots would die off and i could just deal with the bulbs.  Last week I tried again, pot still full of live roots but I steeled myself and pried the pot shaped rootball apart.  It was hard work. I separated the larger bulbs from the tiny ones and in the end had enough (hundreds) for 3 new pots of large bulbs and 2 pots of tiny ones.  Even though they dont flower until May/June they were already in growth.

There was a little grumbling from the gardener about replacing one pot with 5 but perhaps this year they may flower. Thanks for the advice.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
Hmmm.... one pot for five....... yes, I can see that this is not in line with the current widespread fashion for rationalisation and downsizing...... how have you managed to stray so far "off message", Shelagh?? ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 05:38:04 AM »
Believe it or not I managed to kill off my Ledebouria cooperi.  ::)  Still not entirely sure how.  Not something I've seen for many years in catalogues here, in fact I don't even remember where I got it from originally.  Maybe Marcus in Tassie?  I really don't know.

I rather like your ovatifolia.... love those leaves and such a good flowerhead.  I'll keep an eye out for it in the future I think.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »
Pity I can't sent you 500 Paul, or even 5. They're here for when you bring over an empty suitcase.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Lesley,

Thanks for the offer, but as you well know even if I had an empty suitcase I still wouldn't bring any back.  8)  I'll find them somewhere here in Aus, within our quarantine borders.  Unless you happen to get seed from them?  It's on our quarantine allowed list.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »
I've never seen seed on them Paul.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 01:00:51 AM »
Lesley,

Mine never used to set any either, so you're not alone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 07:07:29 AM »
Believe it or not I managed to kill off my Ledebouria cooperi.

It is hard to credit  :) :) :)

I think I got mine from Woodbank. Does it get added to your care package?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
Rob,

Sometimes enough neglect and weeds can kill even the hardiest plant.  ::)  I'd like to say that it all happened the years I was sick (I did lose a lot of things), but unfortunately there are still a majority of unweeded sad pots in my backyard that I haven't got to as yet.  :'(

Yes, it would be wonderful to add to the care package, but have I got enough of interest to you to be able to put in a return package? ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
You're not the only one to have lost things. Lots of my place is unweeded too.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal