We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncoseason 2010  (Read 58511 times)

PeterT

Re: Oncoseason 2010
« Reply #510 on: December 12, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »
a group of three plants next spring Pat? - and lots of tissue culture experements?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #511 on: December 12, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
Pat,
do you remove all of your Onco's every year ?
Do you also keep plants with virus or grow them with others, separate place ?
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

arillady

« Reply #512 on: December 13, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »
Peter the person who tried tissue culture for us a few times has had his funding dry up and may be leaving the establishment. I must ask Peter Gras if he has worked with tissue culture at all.
Fred when we have a good downpour in summer I start to panic about what oncos will survive it - hence my lifting some. There are others - aril species hybrids which I have left in situ and they have not been bothered by the extra rain - these last ones are in a rocky area that I have not played with very much at all.
We had 4" of rain last week in two days but mainly one afternoon, and the most amazing thunder and lightning, and now we are going to have mid 30Cs this week.
I have not had many virused plants so far but this Iris susiana certainly is so I am very scared that it will spread to the others. I will have to try to find a situation next year that is possibly suitable and away from the other oncos, and the sap sucking insects have had their mouths washed out with extra greenery between bites.
I will not be dividing up this clump until there is a definite separate piece that will not leave a big wound.
Iris camillae is now history in my garden because I divided it up but I sure hope one of the pieces that I sent elsewhere is still going.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #513 on: December 19, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
Actually no flowers here of any Onco - but I am very glad Iris nectarifera seem to like the conditions here - it took a few years after planting to look fine (and produces first stolones) - without doubt it belongs to the most complicate species to establish here.

Iris camillae is now history in my garden because I divided it up but I sure hope one of the pieces that I sent elsewhere is still going.

Pat, should be able to send you a seeds next year - there should flower a few clones.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

PeterT

« Reply #514 on: December 19, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
Looks good Hans  :)
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

arillady

« Reply #515 on: December 19, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Thanks Hans for the offer of seed sometime of Iris camillae. Will be good to grow from seed.
Iris nectarifera looks lovely and healthy.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #516 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:49 AM »
Thanks Peter and Pat!

Pat, Iris camillae grows well from seeds - most of mine are seedgrown, the resulting plants have formed fine clumps now. 
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal