We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rainwater tank pump  (Read 2460 times)

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Rainwater tank pump
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone uses or can recommend a rainwater tank pump to be connected to my hose and watering lance. Filling watering cans all the time is doing my back in. Just trying to plan ahead and make life that little bit easier ;)

Can a good pond pump be used or will this not be powerful enough to reach 2mtrs of height?

David

Martinr

Re: Rainwater tank pump
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
I'm sure there are a number of sources but try www.twowests.co.uk. They sell one specifically for that purpose for £80.

Onion

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
David,

you need the power curve from the pump you want to use.  From this curve you can see what volume can pump to a 2mtrs height per minute (I think). Then consider if this is enough water for you. Is it to low you need a pump with more power.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
I have a feeling that a submersible pond pump of the average size would be a ble to do the job.... and cost less than £ 80 !!  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:03:28 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies. There is a mistake on the  www.twowests.co.uk website as it says it can produce 36litres an hour (wow), looking at the speck on other sites it should read 2200 litres per hour, 16 psi/ 1.1 bar.

I will now go and look at some pond pumps and see what spec they are.

Thanks

David

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Hi, I have been using submersible pumps for years. I couldn't live without them as I have to water my tropical orchids growing on rafts high up in my lean-to greenhouse, where I couldn't reach with a watering can let alone get the angle required to pour out the water.

Although the water in my tank is fairly clean, I chose a 'dirty water' pump because then I don't have to worry about bits that collect in the bottom. Here is a link you might find useful: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/psv1a-pump/path/submersible-pumps-dirty-water.

These pumps come in many different specifications and prices, but I have found that one can get a pretty reliable one for between £50 and £80. The cheaper ones conk out earlier, 1 - 2 years, the dearer ones last longer. Because I totally depend on my pump, I have two, just in case. :)

Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

derekb

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies. There is a mistake on the  www.twowests.co.uk website as it says it can produce 36litres an hour (wow), looking at the speck on other sites it should read 2200 litres per hour, 16 psi/ 1.1 bar.

Thanks

David
Dave go on Ebay and look at the pumps sold by Tinah41 I have 2 of her pumps running in my pond plus one of her air pumps they are a good price and she is a very good seller.
Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
Hi Derek

Yes the seller has a good feedback. Don't think the pumps she has will be up to the job though. I've since looked on EBay just searching for Water Butt pump and there are loads. Argos also stocks the Hozelock brand Water Butt pump for £50.00.

Before buying and when I can get past the ice on the garden pond, I will stick a hose on the end of the pump and see what it is like.

Thanks for the replies.

David

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »

Thanks

David

This is a misprint.  Pumps are normally rated in l/min.  36 l/min is 2200 l/h.

A submersible pump will be the easiest for you but avoid too high pressures. 1 bar is equivalent at lifting water 10 meters.
A typical (centrifugal) pump pump will have a maximum supply at zero pressure and a maximum pressure at zero supply.
Normal working conditions are somehere in between. Normally half maximum pressure will yield more than half maximum delivery.

A displacement pump (with plunges, vanes or pistons is a very different animal but since they are more expensive they are only in use in special applications like for very high pressures.
Or as a farmer's old fashined hand pump.

Cheers
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal