We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 314890 times)

rgc

Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #1125 on: March 09, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
When building a crevice garden, I am sure that you should plan it all out carefully and do it all in one go. Unfortunately, not the way I have done it.

In autumn 2014, I built a small crevice garden and showed a picture on this thread on 23rd November 2014. Then extended it and showed a picture of the extended crevice garden on 6th May 2015.

Made a further extension last autumn and I have now begun to plant up the new parts. Not much colour just now, but the Kabschia saxifrage in the older parts have lots of flower buds.
Picture of crevice garden version 3 is below.
Bob
Bob, Stirling

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1126 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »
I'll look forward to seeing it again soon Bob, when the saxifrages are in flower. I suffer a permanent state of Kabschia saxifrage deprivation as we have so few here and may not import plants.

Looks like a nice sunny day in Scotland. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rgc

« Reply #1127 on: March 09, 2016, 10:19:01 PM »
Hi Lesley
We are lucky in Britain and seem to be able to assume that if a plant is available commercially anywhere in the world then we can buy it here.

It was a lovely day here in Stirling and after a few hours gardening, I was able to sit out in the sun. First time this year. However, from David's post I gather it was horrible weather down in Devon.
Bob
Bob, Stirling

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #1128 on: April 03, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »

Spent the day working on my new (extension to my) crevice beds. I haven't mulched with any gravel and chippings yet but I'm happy with how it's going... I definitely think I'm getting better at it; looking back at the first and second crevice beds I like this one a lot better, and the second was better than the first, so that's progress! I'm itching to start planting!

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

astragalus

« Reply #1129 on: April 03, 2016, 04:17:19 PM »
Looks great.  Nice stone!
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1130 on: April 03, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
You are making a great job of that, Jamus  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1131 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »
Bob and Jamus have both made good features for alpines. If anything (I try not to criticize as I am a poor gardener) I would remove the labels. They detract from the effect. My attempt at a "rock garden" as a site for alpines was a mistake. I placed three squares of rocks in the area 12 ft. x 12 ft. and that took up too much space. Over the years the addition of small chippings as a top dressing has resulted in a "scree" instead of rocks. I mention this so that other people do not make this mistake. Does it matter that we may forget the names of plants, after all, they are there to be enjoyed. We could make a sketch with the plants on but then it becomes too much trouble to keep altering it. Well done both, I hope the gardens give many years of pleasure.

astragalus

« Reply #1132 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:57 AM »
A possible solution to the label issue is a nail with a number painted on the nail head.  The gardener would then have to keep a notebook of names corresponding to the numbers.  This method does have some  advantages:  the nails are  fairly easy to hide, and they are much smaller than labels.  I've seen troughs where this was done quite effectively.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #1133 on: April 04, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
Why not just draw a "map" of the trough and write the plant names on it?  Or take a photo and do the same?  No nails to be lost then.  Either is easy enough to do with a trough.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #1134 on: April 04, 2016, 08:00:52 AM »
I'm with Lori, and take a photograph of all my troughs and label the photo with the plant names.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #1135 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »
I love labels. My wife hates them.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #1136 on: April 04, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Jamus rockery beds are absolutely gorgeous!

I also don't like labels sticking out and I started to do like Matt last year for a small rock area first. In a large rock garden it might be a bit more problematic though; would involve a lot of 'data keeping'.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Tristan_He

« Reply #1137 on: April 04, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
I don't like labels either (they get pushed right into the soil by and large) and also tend to be in the habit of shoving pieces of things into handy crevices in the rockery. This looks nice but the result is that I have quite a few things without a label. Saxifrages and houseleeks are the worst as they often grow in places where a discreet label is hard to accomodate - so a fair few 'white flowered ?Allendale something or other' and 'sort of vaguely like paniculata but probably a hybrid encrusted thing'. I don't think I'll be applying to hold any national collections!

I have now started to keep a spreadsheet listing everything I know I am growing. Helps to narrow it down a bit at least.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1138 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »
I don't like labels and I forget most names and I am too lazy to make any kind of files to keep track of my plants ;)

Anyway I remember the Name of this common sax. It is the first to flower on my rock/crevice roof garden!

Saxifraga oppositifolia, collected by myself.

527010-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #1139 on: April 05, 2016, 01:18:43 AM »
I have now started to keep a spreadsheet listing everything I know I am growing. Helps to narrow it down a bit at least.

I have done that for many years.  It will help if you give location names to certain areas (east garden, front yard, etc.).  Then you can narrow it quite a bit more.  For troughs I list all the plants in a single trough on one or multiple tags and put them all in one place in a discrete part if the trough. Can you find them in the pic below?
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal