We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 314901 times)

astragalus

Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #900 on: August 10, 2014, 01:03:12 AM »
All those seedlings from such a fine plant.  Usually that only happens with weeds.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

astragalus

« Reply #901 on: August 10, 2014, 01:42:31 AM »
A few things flowering (or not) in the crevice garden.  Zuaschneria californica v Etteri has been flowering gently sinc the end of July, way ahead of schedule.  Hopefully, the heavier bloom is yet to come.  Also Zauschneria californica 'Wayne's Select', new to the garden this year and much sought after for its silery foliage.  Sharp eyes might spot the single bud showing so far.  These plants are really for late August and almost til frost.

astragalus

« Reply #902 on: August 10, 2014, 01:49:12 AM »
This is Daphne x hendersonii 'Rick Lupp', which is supposed to have arching branches and is just starting to show this characteristic.  The foliage is quite wonderful, maybe it will flower next year.
I'm hoping in time the branches will arch over the rock for a very different daphne effect.
The Petrophytum hendersonii is just coming into bloom.  It is very nicely starting to run along a narrow crevice.

***  This has been reidentified by Phyllis Gustafson and Panayoti Kelaidis as Petrophytum cinerascens.  The foliage of P. hendersonii is bluer and the flowers are short, rather tubby and not on arching stems like this one. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:24:59 PM by astragalus »

astragalus

« Reply #903 on: August 24, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »
Reblooming for the third time in the crevice garden, Daphne velenovskyi 'Balkan Rose'.  Nice tidy foliage and growth, came originally from Harvey Wrightman.
Astragalus amphioxys 'San Felipe' reblooming.
Hedysarum candida has had a great year.  The flowers were enormous (pale cream).
Also, more progress on the new crevice beds on the back of the cliff.  Someday this might get finished.  Looking forward to spring planting.

astragalus

« Reply #904 on: August 24, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
Oops.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #905 on: August 24, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »
***  This has been reidentified by Lori Skulski and Panayoti Kelaidis as Petrophytum cinerascens.
My goodness, I doubt I could have been part of that realization - not sure I'd recognize the genus, let alone the species!   :o
Everything is looking wonderful, as always, Anne!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

astragalus

« Reply #906 on: August 24, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »
Thanks, Lori.  Actually, it was Phyllis Gustafson who correctly i.d.ed my plant.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #907 on: September 16, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
Kenton Seth, that enthusiastic young American gardener, is working ofn a new crevice project in Colorado - Paul Briggs from the  Vancouver area has been across getting involved too - read all about it is a series of posts in Kenton's blog  - starts here : http://kentonjseth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-apex-project-day-1.html

(Yes, I know the text is white on black  TSK! - but  make the text larger - makes it easier to read -and stick with it!- It's mostly photos........  ;)   )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:05:56 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #908 on: September 26, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »
Anne (astragalus) : I saw this, and thought of you!  ;) ;D
"Jeff de Jong gives a workshop on Designing a Deer-Resistant Garden"  Horticulture Centre of the Pacific, 1pm 28th September   http://hcp.ca/events/deer-resistant-garden-workshop/

I also saw this and thought of you -   something that would surely keep deer away, even more so than young Max  :o ;D

He's a hybrid black wolf,  it seems. As to what he eats - answer to that is "whatever he likes" I reckon.

Definitely a way to keep any crevice garden deer free.

astragalus

« Reply #909 on: September 27, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
Thanks, Maggi.  I think Max would do a great job were it not for the leash law we have in our town.  If we fenced the place to keep Max in bounds that would work as well.  But we would have to win the lottery first.  We live on rock and it would be incredibly expensive to fence, requiring dynamite to make most of the post holes.  The only place we have fencing is down at the road where the stream garden is - it has been a joy gardening behind an 8' high fence and no deer inside.  I always overplant figuring the deer will eat a large percentage - at the stream garden I may have to thin out the plants!
A beautiful and very impressive wolf hybrid.  Here they are not even legal in a lot of states.  We have coyotes here but they don't make a dent in the deer population, though they might take care of an injured deer or fawn.

John85

« Reply #910 on: September 27, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
Why not a few electrified wires.Not expensive to install and easy to do as a DIYjob.
It works here but be aware the highest wire has to be 7'or 8'( with a spacing of about 2') otherwise they jump over it!
On rocks you can either drill a 1''hole and hammer the iron rod in it or glide it in one of the hole of half a concrete block and mortar it on the rock.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #911 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
  Zauschneria californica v Etteri has been flowering gently sinc the end of July, way ahead of schedule.  Hopefully, the heavier bloom is yet to come.   These plants are really for late August and almost til frost.

Well, look what I found in Twitter :

a lovely tweet from Panayoti on a the aforementioend Zauschneria 'Etteri' in Anne's garden  8)

I'm a bit late in finding it - the SRGC twitter timeline used to show several days worth of "stuff" but now it only seems to be a few hours so it can take a bit of searching to find such gems!

astragalus

« Reply #912 on: October 17, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Panayoti was here a couple of days and saw my Petrophtum "hendersonii" which turned out to be P. cinerescens.  He told me that the latter is actually much rarer.  The zauschneria is still blooming.  We've had only light frosts so far.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »
Flowering in my crevice garden at the moment;

Celmisia hectorii hybrid (ex Hokonui Alpines)

Celmisia semicordata hybrid (ex Hokonui Alpines)

Celmisia brevifolia

Anaphalioides bellidioides This plant was propagated from a cutting collected locally from the Otago Peninsula.

David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #914 on: October 24, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
Lovely plants David.

Isn't this Forum a brilliant resource? I've spent a very dreich afternoon re-reading every post on this thread and have made a note of over 100 species and am now plodding through The Plant Finder to find any possible UK suppliers. Would it be news to say that so far in the "Who May Have It" stakes Aberconwy Nursery is leading by a country mile?

So many brilliant plants and so much high quality rock work to see especially from Anne Speigle, Leiomerus, Kris De Raemaeker, Ebbie, Anne Wright and Ian Christie to name a few. Speaking of Ian Christie, in September 2012 he showed that he was in the early stages of working on a new crevice bed built over peat blocks. We never saw the finishes article Ian, it's time for more pictures.

Why have I listed enough plants to fill the Wisley Crevice Garden? Well, I'm extending a rock bed I built last year and will be including a small crevice bed in it so am going to need a few plants! Now to the Troughs thread.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal