We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 314852 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
You know, Graham, I think in a few months that brick surface will disappear as the plants spread. Then the effect will be of 'invisible'  tiers, I reckon. great fun.... love anything new like that!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »
You know, Graham, I think in a few months that brick surface will disappear as the plants spread. Then the effect will be of 'invisible'  tiers, I reckon. great fun.... love anything new like that!

Well that's the theory Maggi. I hope that they all settle in.
Cliff, we will see what your wife says when they have grown together and the Lewisia's are in flower next year. She wasn't seeing the bigger picture.
I have to admit to having to google Ziggurat, but you are right.
Bo'ness. Scotland

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
I know someone, not so far away, who said:

"..given an ideal opportunity for a trough of miniature hostas and he goes and puts in Lewisia's! What on earth possessed him?"  ;D
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
As a person living up a hill, though, the thought of being lower than sea level worries me ! :o
Has your friend got a boat?  ;)
No, he has not, neither his neighbour...  ;D
But for their comfort they don't live too far from a former small island which lies above sealevel :) and is now a World Heritage site!
http://www.schokland.nl/pageid=23/EN.html
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Graham Catlow

« Reply #259 on: May 17, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
I know someone, not so far away, who said:

"..given an ideal opportunity for a trough of miniature hostas and he goes and puts in Lewisia's! What on earth possessed him?"  ;D

Frazer,
Did you miss my hosta trough in this link.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3537.255

I perhaps didn't explain myself properly when we spoke. :-\
Bo'ness. Scotland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »
That wall of ramondas and asplenium is exquisite! It reminds me of an old retaining wall half way up Snowdon, next to some old mine buildings, which is full of ferns in variety. Unfortunately I only have a slide. One of our members has a great ability to discover recycled materials for free and has a large raised bed made with similar concrete kerbstones. He also (curse him) discovered a source of tufa(!) in an overgrown garden - some people have all the luck!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
I constructed a new trough at the weekend and coincidentally this thread has recycled materials in it

Congratulations Graham on your lateral thinking for your new contemporary trough; incorporating those bricks for your collection of Lewisias.  You've given me an idea for a small raised bed using these bricks in limited space.  Looking forward to seeing how yours develops with some photos.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
I constructed a new trough at the weekend and coincidentally this thread has recycled materials in it

Congratulations Graham on your lateral thinking for your new contemporary trough; incorporating those bricks for your collection of Lewisias.  You've given me an idea for a small raised bed using these bricks in limited space.  Looking forward to seeing how yours develops with some photos.

Thank you Robin, and I am very interested to see how you develop your raised bed.
Bo'ness. Scotland

astragalus

« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
Blooming now in the crevice garden, the tufa crevice garden and in natural crevices in the cliff.  The colors change from week to week.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
Lovely images of beautiful plants Anne ... this time last year and we were heading for home after an amazing tour!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »
Those Eriogonums are very moreish! (I use the word but can't find it in the dictionary). I haven't tried any yet in my sand bed but have previously grown them under similar conditions on a raised bed. The late Dr. Jack Elliott grew many species and stimulated us to grow more of them. At Wisley Paul Cumbleton has planted several on a raised sand bed near the alpine house and they make a great contrast to other plants. The smaller species are seen occasionally exhibited at AGS Shows but few people grow them. I shall look out for seed this autumn/winter.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

astragalus

« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
Cliff:  Somehow it seems strange to look at the garden without the crouching camerman in view!

Tim, the eriogonums are marvelous plants.  Look for seed of Eriogonum ovalifolium varieties.  Just plant them in full sun and once established, don't water.   During periods of drought when all gardeners are complaining and moaning, the westerners (eriogonums, penstemons, astragalus, oxytropis, trifolium etc)   behave like they're in seventh heaven.

astragalus

« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
Could I have a definition of "moreish" please?  I've already learned "gob-smacked".  Didn't realize another benefit of the Forum would be a volcabulary increase!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »
Could I have a definition of "moreish" please?  I've already learned "gob-smacked".  Didn't realize another benefit of the Forum would be a volcabulary increase!

Hi Anne,
I could say; "Anne Spiegel's garden is particularly moreish" or "I can't get enough green beans - they are moreish" or (as Maggi might say) "This chocolate bar is moreish, I could eat another seven"!

Definition : Something that leaves one wanting or desiring more ... and more!

I have always presumed that this common expression (here in the UK) would be in the American dictionary, but unless it refers to the Moors (Moorish), then it doesn't feature in my Mac's New Oxford American Dictionary.  I was gobsmacked!!!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
I was gobsmacked!!

So long as being gobsmacked didn't leave you banjaxed.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal