We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 314829 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »
I hope you get the go-ahead Paul. In my experience senior managers have this nasty habit of backing away just as the price estimates come in, and when work could reasonably be starting. Good luck for your project. It would add something extra and very interesting, to Wisley.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

astragalus

« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »

The second crevice garden is finally finished.  The last part is only partially planted because this has really been the summer from hell.  Starting in the spring when we had record breaking days of heat, there has been nothing but that dreaded combination of heat (90s F), drought (2 months of no rain at all), and high humidity.  Many of the western american plants simply go dormant but revive when some rain comes, the high desert plants thrive although some really dislike the humidity, and many other alpines simply go permanently dormant.  Valeriana supina, thriving in the tufa garden at least 6 years, appears to be gone.   It's one of my favorites.  I'll do some planting in the new crevice garden in the fall and finish up in the spring.
Jiri's new crevice  garden looks wonderful.  The plants are really taking hold.  More pictures, please, Jiri.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:40:51 PM by Maggi Young »
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »
I am really delighted to report that my proposal for a crevice garden at Wisley has now been approved and the funding provided. Zdenek Zvolanek has very kindly agreed to come and lead us on this project and will be with us from 1 November for a couple of weeks. I will write about it all as it happens in my Log so you can all follow the progress there.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »
Excellent news Paul! Wish I could be there to help....
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
Good news Paul. I look forward to seeing the finished article.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »
I am really delighted to report that my proposal for a crevice garden at Wisley has now been approved and the funding provided. Zdenek Zvolanek has very kindly agreed to come and lead us on this project and will be with us from 1 November for a couple of weeks. I will write about it all as it happens in my Log so you can all follow the progress there.

Paul
Well done on your successful proposal, Paul.
I think you will find there is almost universal delight at the prospect: while there are some who are not much in favour of this style of growing there will surely be tremendous interest from visitors to the garden to see it there.
And to have ZZ himself involved.... a coup indeed  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »
Looking forward to follow the progress of your crevice garden.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
Fantastic news, Paul, what an exciting venture - looking forward to seeing your crevice garden at Wisley progress  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »
Excellent news Paul and since it will be happening late this year, there will be more to see at Wisley for those visiting for next year's Conference. I'll get to see their pictures even if not able to take some of my own. Great that in these difficult financial times some institutions are prepared to fund what's really important. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »
Work on the new Wisley crevice garden can be seen in my latest log, just posted today
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=wisley

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

astragalus

« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
One of the places the pre-Nottingham Conference Tour will go is to Wisley.  Can't wait to see this crevice garden.  What  an amazing amount of work in just a few days.   I'm used to doing this work with one other person and no machines.  How I'd love to use those machines for even a day but I can see they're operating in a flat area, not on the side of a cliff.  Any machine here would probably land in the lower garden in no time.

astragalus

« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
Those of us lucky enough to be on the pre-conference tour got to spend the day at Wisley.  The garden was spectacular but first on my list was the crevice garden.  Paul et al have done an amazing job.  It's huge as the pictures will show.  The fun will be in the planting, because crevice gardens eat up plants.  We also got to go in the propagation house and see some of the plants that Paul is growing for the crevice garden.  It's a wide selection and I was happy to see some North American plants there as well.  I have to give Paul a "10".  He has accomplished so much in so short a time.  The pictures are:
fornt of garden (I think)
middle of garden
back of garden
Aubrieta glabrescens (new must-have plant)

astragalus

« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »
Blooming today in the crevice garden.
1. Hymenoxys acaulis v caespitosa
2. Coronilla vaginalis
3. Aubrieta 'Marjorie Reynolds
4. Daphne x hendersonii 'Amyon Correvon'

astragalus

« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2011, 04:09:44 AM »
Also in the crevice garden, where ithas been warm but not too warm.  Blooms are lasting as a result.
1. Daphne velenovskyi 'Balkan Rose'
2. Androsace villosa

astragalus

« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
A few more pictures of the plants in the new crevice garden at Wisley.  Young plants, of course, but looking happy and doing very well.  I hope Paul will continue to update us on the new plantings.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:13:36 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal