We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African bulbose plants 2009  (Read 58118 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
South African bulbose plants 2009
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
Here's one I am quietly proud of Lachenalia aloides quadricolor, and yes you will have seen this type of plant before in Hans J's avatar. I bought the plant in late spring last year and of course, although it was nice and dry under the greenhouse staging for the summer! it didn't get an awful lot of heat. Although they are said to be not frost hardy this one has taken some frost in the grenhouse this year just covered with a sheet of fleece. The crowning point was in Luit's Show report he mentioned that Lachenalia should not be watered from the top- this has been!! because I didn't realise that.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: South African bulbose plants 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Don't push your luck David.
I know of a nursery here in the area which produce 10.000Nd's in pots and after watering
from the top, the staff is looking for plants with water in the rosettes and empty them.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:08:34 AM »
Mine are in the garden and always get watered from the top, either hose in the spring or rain all year round. Good drainage is the thing.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »
Here we have to grow them under glass.
Watering plants is totally different from those growing in the garden!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:58 AM »
I was intrigued to find this single 'peloric' flower on a normal spike of Gladiolus dalenii. This specimen was growing naturally beside the Sani Pass road in the southern Drakensberg.

I've often wondered whether this trait would be carried on from generation to generation, but I suppose the fact that the other flowers on the spike were normal makes this just a chance mutation not to be repeated.

Interesting...
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
What does "peloric" mean Rogan? Upward-facing or something like that? It isn't in my dictionary. That stippling is very pretty.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
"peloric" refers to a flower that is very regular and symetrical on a plant  which usually has asymetrical or irregular flowers
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
Ah... Thank you Maggi. Another one to add to my mental dictionary of "new" words. Currently I like "mundungus." I may find it difficult to use in a Forum post however. :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »
Currently I like "mundungus." I may find it difficult to use in a Forum post however. :)

There may be a chance in the "Edible and Useful" area, Lesley ??? ::) :P ;D

An aid to puzzled readers.......... http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-mun1.htm
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:23:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
I'll work on it Maggi. Did you have to look it up? It's one my late mother threw at my late brother-in-law. They had a silly thing going where they each tried to outwit the other with words. Both were very good at crossword puzzles, which I'm not.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:35:30 AM »
Perhaps one of the most famous peloric plant of all is the 'gloxinia' of commerce.

Sinningia speciosa, the parent species of all the beautiful gloxinias we buy to add some Christmas colour to our homes (at least here in the southern hemisphere), has pale blue slipper-shaped (zygomorphic) flowers with only four fertile stamens - the fifth being reduced to a small projection.

Occasionally S. speciosa will produce bell-shaped, radially symmetrical flowers (actinomorphic) with five fertile stamens - hence the origin of all our beautiful florist gloxinias. The true Gloxinia is not closely related to Sinningia at all.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
Thanks Rogan, now I get the picture. We used to have gloxinias in our flower shops, supermarkets etc at Christmas. Haven't seen one for years now, though. A fashion thing maybe.

Hristo

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
Hi there,
Wet,sleety and cold here in Bulgaria, off into town for supplies, I look at these Lachenalias to make me feel warmer! Anybody else growing much in the way of species Lachenalia?
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »
Several of the Forumists grow some Hristo. They're popular here in NZ and I have maybe a dozen species. A favourite is the yellow L. reflexa and another, the seagreen L. viridiflora.

105858-0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:11:17 PM by Lesley Cox »

Hristo

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 05:40:25 AM »
Hi there Lesley
That's a fine looking viridiflora,I have this growing from Silverhill seed along with haarlamensis and few others.
I love bulbifera but will have to 'cull' thus year as it is simply to 'enthusiastic' and is taking up far too many pots!
Please post any other pics you have, always fascinating to me to see how other folks grow their plants, and always good to hear L.reflexa amongst others is well established in cultivation.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal