We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus April to June 2009  (Read 20706 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Narcissus April to June 2009
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2009, 01:06:53 AM »
Fermi,

I don't think I've come across 'Jessamy' before, so would love to see pics of it when available.  Is it your earliest yellow then?
Hi Paul,
this isn't the best pic of "Jessamy" - didn't notice a water droplet on the lens! And the dew overnight has dampened it a bit anyway.
146343-0
And a better pic of "Camoro"
146345-1
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Kees Green

« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2009, 01:55:55 AM »
Fermi, those Comoro are lovely, quite an intense green with them, very nice. Not sure if they are in NZ but will keep a look out.
Another lovely sunny day here in Dunedin, the weather really has been pretty good, we have a couple of days and people forget that last wek or so. I expect that my taffeta are out now, will take a pic and post them.
Its nice to see everyone elses for comparison. I hope to get seed from all of my petticoats this season, being my first with them, and have collected pollen for crossed with other minatures.
I collected seed from a nice yellow/gold long trumpet daffodil last year and so far 20 of 27 seeds have germinated, with more every week. I still only have 2 seedling from Wee Gem and a couple from Tete tete and a dissapointing couple of collected seed from bulbocodiums from our public gardens. My mixed narcissus seedlings number over 60 but who knows what they are, I just wanted some seedlings so I guess in about 4-6 more years I may have some flowers from them.
Keep posting pics, they are great.
Kees
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2009, 04:54:26 AM »
Thanks Fermi.  You're well ahead of me.  Must go and see whether buds have emerged yet on my 'Camoro'.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »
Fermi, those Comoro are lovely, quite an intense green with them, very nice. Not sure if they are in NZ but will keep a look out.
Hi Kees,
I got mine from Marcus Harvey (Hillview Rare plants, 200 (sorry about that, Chief) 400  Huon Rd, South Hobart, Tasmania 7004) who will export to NZ (just ask Lesley!)
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:43:43 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
Fermi,

I think that Marcus is 400 Huon Road, from memory.  And I don't think the postcode is quite right either.  That one is for the Snug area, isn't it?  I must go and check for sure.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:22 PM »
Marcus Harvey, Hillview Rare Plants

Mr M Harvey
400 Huon Road
South Hobart, Tas. 7004
Ph: (03) 6224 0770 or (03) 6223 1608
email: hillview400@hotmail.com

:D

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
400 Huon Rd is right, but so is the postcode, 7004. Marcus had 7000 on his latest catalogue or somewhere recently, but it was a misprint. Snug is 7054. (Just had some seed from Rob K.)

Yes Kees, Marcus exports to NZ. Suggest you email him for his next list (around Nov/Dec) and if you wanted, you could add your order to mine, for a single phyto, inspection etc. Dormant bulbs from Australia don't have to go into quarantine. But we can't import irises.

So far I haven't seen 'Camoro' in NZ.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
I'll add these in here, as well as the Southern Hemisphere "flowering now" topic....

Narcissus 'Taffetta' - my clump in the crocus garden.  Yes, a snail has hit one of the flowers. Still putting on a lovely show, and the bee is obviously enjoying itself.
Narcissus viridiflorus - just the one flowering for me, but such a tiny little cutie.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
you're giving us great photos, Paul, thanks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
Fantastic images, Paul, I so wish I could grow white hoops.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »
You can't?  But by the sound of it you can grow the yellow ones?  Or is it just that the white ones flower earlier than the yellows and so get too much cold?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arisaema

« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »
Too wet and too cold for them unfortunately, even N. bulbocodium has some difficulties in the ground here. It's nice to be able to enjoy them in the forum at least :)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
I didn't realise that the white were any different in tolerances to the straight bulbocodiums.  If you're wanting to try some of our Aussie bred varieties I have enough to share a few bulbs at the end of the season.  I think Taffetta is one of the Glenbrook breeding, and he has some other wonderful ones as well.  'Fyno' grows like a weed here (literally in some cases, as it seed rather freely, and all identical to the parent as far as I have seen) so more htan happy to try to help you find a white that will survive for you.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »
Wonderful N. Taffetta Paul !!!   :o  A welcome intruder in the Crocus bed I guess !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

arisaema

« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »
Thanks, Paul, I'd love to give it another try, though I fear sending them here is the equivalent of sending them to death-row... :-[

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal