We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus April to June 2009  (Read 20668 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Narcissus April to June 2009
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
Well, I can't compare to these lovely dwarf species you are all growing with great success, but I do have a few un-named seedlings in the garden, the results of a discard bag from a Dutch breeder.  Most of the bulbs bore poor blossoms, but 4 or 5 were nice enough that I have held on to them.  Attached are two doubles, possibly siblings, which I rather enjoy.

By the way, other than good drainage, what do the Hoop Peticoats require?  I've tried them a few times in the garden and they flower once (if at all), but that is it.  Do they need a dry period in Summer?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Narcissus April to June 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
Interesting find today in my greenhouse, a N triandrus germinated less than 2 years ago (AnneW might like the details: sown Feb 2007, germinated May 2007).  4 bulbs produced by last summer, today one in flower, it must have opened a day or two ago, so during March 2009.  That seems pretty fast to me.

Sorry for poor picture, taken with little compact which I don't know how to use the settings   ::)  (My main camera ran out of batteries, which, given that I have 3 sets, is pretty bad management from me!)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:19:55 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »
By the way, other than good drainage, what do the Hoop Peticoats require?  I've tried them a few times in the garden and they flower once (if at all), but that is it.  Do they need a dry period in Summer?
Jamie - I've never tried Hoop Petticoats in the garden. I grow them in pots which are allowed to dry out completely in the summer, though they are not baked. Under these conditions, they flower regularly (unlike some of the other dwarf narcissus species which I suspect need more of a baking than I give them).
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Regelian

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
Gerry,

thanks, this may be the tip I need!  Cologne can be wet in the Summer and is rarely hot enough to bake anything, although many Tulipa are quite happy in the garden.  I have some in a pot at the moment and will try them through the Summer. 

This is why I love this group! 
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »
I have some hoops in a raised bed with flower buds just showing between the leaves. They were bought as romouxii but when I queried them on here they arent as sold
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
Jamie, your double looks rather like Van Sion. Diane - that IS quick. What are you feeding them with, rocket fuel?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Regelian

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »
Anne,

I'm unfamiliar with Van Sion, I'll have to check for a picture.

Both of the flowers shown are different bulbs and are clearly individual when seen.  One has the doubling enclosed by the perianth, while the second is much more 'tattered' looking.  There is a third clone that is completely enclosed within the corolla.  Also, all three are different heights.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
I would agree with Von Sion which is very variable

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
a couple more I have in flower at the moment

Narcissus polyanthos which has a wonderful scent

Narcissus abscissus . I think this is correct but it is slightly different to others I grow which are not yet in flower.They have a narrower tube
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Regelian

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »
Well,  I've done a bit of research on Van Sion and am pretty sure that is NOT what I have in the garden.  My plant is very consistent year after year, not very vigourous and quite symetrical in its form.  Of course, I'm no Daffodil expert.  In any case, the history of Van Sion is fascinating!  Around since at least 1620!  Looks good for its age and must be tough as nails to have hung around that long.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile

Regelian

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
Mark, et al,

if that page is actually showing the same plant name, I don't see how it can be the same clone.  It defies the actual definition of a clone (genetically identical).  It may well represent a strain, if it produces seed.  Without consistency, what is it?  Even including the possibilities of en epigenetic variation, some consistentcy must be notable.  Even the height in the description varies by over 100%.  Even true species rarely show this kind of variance.

Of the plants that I have, each one is consitent within its self, but clearly different.  How can they be the same clone?  Siblings I can understand, but something is not adding up, here!  Are there examples of the same bulb showing various flower forms over subsequent years?  On what is the basis for 'Van Sion'?  Is it simply an accepted name for any un-named double?  Has anyone done any genetic study on the plant?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »
NN. triandrus ssp triandrus and bulbocodium citrinus are both brilliant sale plants because of their quick growth as well as their lovely appearance. I sell a lot of pots through a local outlet and nowadays I simply sow 4 or 5 seeds in each pot knowing that in about 2 and a half years I can sell them with 3 or 4 flowers in each pot. In the meantime, I just put them in a cool place and basically forget about them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »
I'll email Brian Duncan, Narcissus breeder, to see if he would like to comment

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »
NN. triandrus ssp triandrus and bulbocodium citrinus are both brilliant sale plants because of their quick growth as well as their lovely appearance. I sell a lot of pots through a local outlet and nowadays I simply sow 4 or 5 seeds in each pot knowing that in about 2 and a half years I can sell them with 3 or 4 flowers in each pot. In the meantime, I just put them in a cool place and basically forget about them.

Have you ever had one flower in under 2 years, Lesley?
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal