We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla  (Read 3173 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Pulsatilla
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
I have a few shades of Pulsatilla vulgaris in the garden and I would like to collect seed from them. How shall I know when the seed is ripe please, and do I sow the fluffy white bits as well?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Pulsatilla
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:24:54 PM »
David it's when the seeds fall off when touched gently. Plant the whole thing. As far as I know the tail bores the seed into the ground
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
Thanks Mark. It's likely to be mid to late Summer then?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 06:52:09 AM »
David
Mark is absolutely right saying when.  At the beginning of summer in your climate I think.

I sow Pulsatilla seed at surface and do not cover by soil just press them. And cut tails. Seed germinate well at sunny hot place. But not quickly. Be ready to wait 2-3 weeks. It depends on ripeness of seed and weather.

http://photofile.ru/users/olga_bond/1332874/46632577/#mainImageLink
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 06:54:29 AM by Olga Bondareva »
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »
David, I pack the seed pod in tea bags. So you can be sure, that they
will not be lost when you forget to have a look at them!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »
Olga and Thomas, thank you both very much for your advice.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
I agree with cutting off the tails. I do it now for all pulsatillas and all clematis and get excellent germination on both. The tail left on far from boring the seed into the ground, seems to left it up. It is a mechanism for distribution by wind after all. I sow the seeds only and cover with grit same as for everything else. Slightly green seed is better than fully ripe seed in my opinion.

I'm sure the the seed exchange directors would prefer these seeds trimmed too, rather than fluffing all over the place.!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »
Thanks for that Lesley
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal