We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Midland AGS Show at Knowle, Solihull  (Read 18976 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Midland AGS Show at Knowle, Solihull
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
In line with Joakim's comment, last weekend I was in a local 'Homebase' store and saw the most fabulous pots of Iris winogradowii, with up to ten fully open blooms in each pot and this priced at €14. If there had been a show the following day I reckon I would have won some award or other. I imagine the occasional (sorry, very rarely) plant appears at a show which came from this type of cultivation.

Paddy

There is a rule that you have to have owned the plant for 6 months prior to the show. 
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
Paddy, I hope you bought some!
There is a rule that all plants shown must have been grown by the exhibitor for at least six months prior to the show. In practice very few people do cheat by using the dubious methods Paddy fears to be rife... we judges might sometimes appear blind, but we're no' daft a'thegither!  Occasionally, of course, someone might show a young seedling in a "difficult" class.... seldom seen one younger than six months, though, and one hardly ever sees the annual versions of any of the mountain flowers on the show benches, either, so that's not a problem.
To an experienced eye, it is easy to spot a plant which is not "kosher", so to speak.... the rhodoendron in a class for "grown in the open ground" which has the telltale faded colour to its flowers  from having been indoors for a fortnight! (Some shows have a rule which states that plants in such classes must have been lifted within ten days of the show.) The few bulbs, all to neatly arranged in the pot.... that is why many judges like to see evidence of offsets, frit rice, or seedlings in a pot of bulbs to show it is an established pot. Others, of course, prefer the evenly spaced, ultra neat look, so there is opportunity for all to try and to succeed!
 If , for instance, Paddy, you had tried to pass off a bought pot of Iris winogradowii ina show, you would likely have been found out... if you did not repot the plant, then it would bear the characteristic, "nursey pot2 look... hard to explain, but tangible, none the less..if you re-potted it, it would look like you had just repotted it, it is well nigh impossible to do that without upsetting the flowers and no-one who had grown the bulbs would repot before a show, so again you have given yourself away! I'm not saying no-one ever cheats, but when they do they are mostly found out and those who indulge in any shady practices are known and just quietly despised for their poor behaviour. The vast majority of exhibitors are working like dogs day and night to perfect their plants and put on a super display, we must not be put off by the odd pot-hunter with a fetish for silver polish... for sometimes they are the ones with the best plants, so everybody wins!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 11:48:05 PM »
Oh Maggi,

PLEASE, you have taken  my up incorrectly - or I should say that I haven't expressed myself clearly. I most certainly do not think that cheating is rife within the show scene. For that matter, I don't imagine it is a common occurrence. My posting about the Iris winogradowii was only in follow up to Joakim's comments. I didn't buy the iris by the way.

My original posting was along the lines that I have seen plants at shows which in my mind did not deserve to be given any recognition for their cultivation - the pot of narcissus cultivars which bear the hallmarks of being put in as a pot of newly purchased bulbs the previous autumn or plants which had failed to grow well in a pot as they were plants which really needed to be grown in open ground to be seen at their best. This had made me wonder what the guidelines on judging were or what standards were applied.

Why did I say anything? I feel that I have trodden on toes here and that wasn't my intention at all. Apologies to anyone with bruised corns. I shall come and massage them, pour soothing oils on them while on obsequiously bent knees, all the time begging for forgiveness.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:40 PM »
Worry not, Paddy, no harm done, is there? I think you raise points that are interesting to many people and I trust that some light has been shed on the workings of a show. I have often heard comment such as yours made and they are worthy of comment.
Can't think why you didn't buy some of the Iris at that price... such a bargain!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 04:05:18 AM »
Firstly, wonderful pics from everyone, almost a marathon effort. And the subsequent discussion is very interesting indeed. Worth another read, and taking on board by exhibitors, organizers, judges etc.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 07:14:36 AM »
Absolutely wonderful pictures of all the plants. Congratulations to all growers (and photographers)!! I will pour over them at greater leisure when I get back to Portugal and don't have to share an internet connection with my sister.

I think I am almost more annoyed at having missed out on the wonderful opportunity to have seen these plants in the flesh (let alone seed/book/plant temptations) than at having had to fork out a decent amount of pounds on a new clutch  :'( Having been carless for 4 days has rather cut down on my garden visiting, but I'll try to fit in a few more things until I leave on Sunday.

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 09:52:35 AM »
This group of threads about shows is terrific. I'm learning so much about what makes a good plant and am getting so much pleasure from growing plants and sharing experiences. A real buzz 8)! Role on Milgavie. :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »
I most certainly do not think that cheating is rife within the show scene. For that matter, I don't imagine it is a common occurrence.

Cheating!!! At national shows??

Thought I might enter this in the New or Rare Class at Harrogate this weekend....Anyone put a name to this gem please?

Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »
Ah, Cliff, a rare gem indeed... I don't know anyone else growing the fiendishly difficult Gentiana rhodoflora... what is your feeding regime for this excellent flowering? I have heard that danish pastries are beneficial ?

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2007, 10:55:35 PM »
Cliff,

Definitely worth a Farrer Medal, great plant.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »
I thought it was called Cliffia ridiculosa! Now don't forget you owe me a little seed, Mr Booker.  :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 07:30:47 AM »
Proof everybody.....you can't fool these judges!!  Though it wasn't a particularly SERIOUS attempt.

Lesley, Lesley, Lesley....would I EVER forget you or your generosity?  I am just waiting for a reply from a more southerly grower about some seeds and I will be in touch......please watch this space.
Cliff Booker

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Now don't forget you owe me a little seed, Mr Booker.  :D

I thought Lesley was after some seed of the cross generic Gentiana rhodoflora  ;D
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 02:15:38 AM »
I was Diane but I suspect he'll be keeping that all to himself. Let's face it, it will be worth a major fortune!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »
Major seed houses have already been in touch, but they all want something with a little more colour!

By the way.....(Isn't it annoying when a spell check underlines a word like COLOUR....even when you KNOW it is right).

Hope to see some of you at the AGS Show at Harrogate tomorrow...might take the camera.
Cliff Booker

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal