We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Drakensberg Helichrysums  (Read 1596 times)

Calvin Becker

Drakensberg Helichrysums
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
I collected seed of the following on the lower slopes on Sani Pass, KwaZulu Natal, on Sunday:

• Helichrysum adenocarpum
  • Helichrysum argentissimum
  • Helichrysum confertum

Please pm if interested in a swap.

Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Drakensberg Helichrysums
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »
Those are super species Calvin, especially the red. I'm more used to whites and yellows in Helichrysum and it seems most of the NZ species are something else now. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
i agree--these are smashing plants! the red is nice, but i really love the pale pink with silvery foliage, and the mat forming confertum!

Calvin Becker

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »
There are some really nice ones out there Lesley. Looking through the wildflower books I think yellow and white are the predominant flower colours over here too and the amount of species is a bit daunting!

I have botanist friends who split into two groups on their walks, one concentrating on terrestrial orchids and the other on helichyrsums and compete as to who can see a greater number of species during the walk. I must say I'd take the orchids any day!
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:00:11 AM »
There are some really nice ones out there Lesley. Looking through the wildflower books I think yellow and white are the predominant flower colours over here too and the amount of species is a bit daunting!

I have botanist friends who split into two groups on their walks, one concentrating on terrestrial orchids and the other on helichyrsums and compete as to who can see a greater number of species during the walk. I must say I'd take the orchids any day!

i think the number was something like over 200 species of helichrysum in south africa!!!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal