We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Symplocos paniculata  (Read 1884 times)

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
Symplocos paniculata
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has grown this plant from seed. I read it required a warm-cold-warm pattern. However they are putting a root out during the first warm. I am just trying to figure out if still needs the cold to do anything else, like a Paeonia lets say.
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

Onion

Re: Symplocos paniculata
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:37 PM »
Robert,

you are right with the warm-cold-warm pattern. The seeds of this species germinate very well. But we have the problem only have ONE plant in the nursery. When they germinate a lot of them die at the end of summer.
I collected seed from two different species S. paniculata and S. chinensis in a arboretum and hope that the germinate well for us.
The motherplant stand in a shady place in a border. The plants don't like a sunny and dry place.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Robert G

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »
Uli,

Thank you for the info about Symplocos. You have given me something to think about regarding where to plant it and worry about the seedlings the first year. I think you must work at a pretty interesting place. Take care.

Onion

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »
Robert,

very interesting to see that you want to grow this species in Hardinesszone 4. In my opinion a very cold area.
I have the luck to have two plant crazy colleagues. Every year in the Autumn we make a journey to different botanical gardens and arboreta. And so we get seeds of woody species i. e. Symplocos.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:55 AM »
It's said to be hardy to zone 4... which makes me wonder if it isn't hardy to zone 3.   ;)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Robert G

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »
Uli,

I was going to post some pictures of the woody plants can grow here, especially the ones that should not be hardy here. I suspect that I will need to wait to next year now. I work in an arboretum that was established to test hardiness, due to its northern location. If you or anyone else is interested in what can grow here just google 'Dominion Arboretum living collection.' A dull government website should appear. Unfortunatley the list is a few years out of date, but most things are still with us. I am working to push what we can grow here. I am always looking for northern seed sources of certain borderline material, hoping they have the genes to survive. I must confess though some of the postings from warmer places to make me jealous.

Lori,

I would give it a try. Even if you get one to survive I consider that a victory. We have three northern seed strains of Cercis canadensis that are doing really well here. A plant that if purchased as a plant from southern Ontario would be killed by the first winter. This is only one example. I suspect that living where you live you are an adventurous gardener...we have no choice!

Onion

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
Robert,

very interesting things you tell. Hear of a hardy Cercis canadensis in your climate let the bells ringing in my head. It's a great pitty that we can't swap plants, bulbs or seeds freely with your country.  :'(

Uli

Be on the side of Dominion Arboretum. Must be a very special place for plantloving peoples.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:04:08 PM by Onion »

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:42:58 AM »
It's a great pitty that we can't swap plants, bulbs or seeds freely with your country.  :'(

The United States has made the importation of plant material extremely restrictive, but it is not particularly so for Canada.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Robert G

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:22:29 AM »
Uli and Lori,

Lori is right. The USA is difficult for movement of plant material. Lori, of course we have no border so anything is fair game. You are even on the right side of the Rockies so movement of anything is easy. But Uli I regularly get and give seed to Europe through work. So seed is still easy, but that may not continue for long. Budwood and cuttings are a pain to send to the EU, lots of paper work and I think too many government employees are employed here and there to deal with it.

Onion

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
Robert,

I see, in the "cultivated countries" always the same problems. Tooooooooooooooooooooo much paper, few brain.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
Tooooooooooooooooooooo much paper, few brain.

Yes, So often the case that "common sense" is the least common of all attributes!  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal