We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: I'm So Excited!!!  (Read 4520 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: I'm So Excited!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
Mark, no dried mint tea from a packet can begin to compare with that made from the fresh mint in Morocco. And, Tony, it is not a herbal tea, it is a whole experience!
Anne, as a taster, this is Narcissus watieri near to Imlil in the Atlas Mountains, March 2008.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
Anne, as a taster, this is Narcissus watieri near to Imlil in the Atlas Mountains, March 2008.

- what an unusual large flower!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
I definitely prefer coffee to tea and I never drink tea/coffee with sugar, but I love Moroccan mint tea!!

Anne, as your tour is "Spain, Portugal and Morocco", it sounds like you'll probably be in the southern part of Portugal, but if you are going to be in the north by any chance, do drop me a pm :)

Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Gerry

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »
Anne

This is the link http://www.ringtons.co.uk/

Grown and packed [and drunk] in the North East  ;). We send it to my daughter, who is forced to work in Windsor.

Gerry

By 'eck, that takes me back! I must admit Vivienne takes teabags, but only if we are self-catering. More trouble than they are worth in a hotel unless they provide a kettle.

Americans salute the flag. In County Durham we have a nice cup of tea, delivered to our door by a man in a liveried van 8)

Gerry

Gerry

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
Perhaps good herbal teas are more easily found abroad?  Here in Switzerland herbal teas are in abundance even Alpine plant teas are  numerous used for all sorts remedies.  I'm sure, too, the water used in tea making has a big influence on the flavour.....and now I have to admit to bringing Earl Grey tea from the UK.  Twinings Earl Grey bought here just doesn't taste the same :P

However I was so excited to find 3 parsnips in the supermarket the other day - never seen them here before  ;D

Twinings are to shut their depot in Tyneside. I gather that 'environmental concerns' were high on their list of reasons for putting a lot of lads out of work ::)

Buy Ringtons instead. I'm not a sharholder, honest.

Gerry

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »
Gerd, there were lots of individual bulbs scattered over a large area of hillside. Never any big clumps but the flowers were all of a similar size. As you can see, I was still having problems photographing white flowers. Sorry.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 06:24:24 PM »
Gerd, there were lots of individual bulbs scattered over a large area of hillside. Never any big clumps but the flowers were all of a similar size. As you can see, I was still having problems photographing white flowers. Sorry.

- nevertheless they seems to be of a good size!
Sometimes I also have problems photographing flowers - not only white ones.
Please see my latest pics in 'Narcissus'!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
Poor Anne. Her topic has very quickly be come tea v coffee.

No mention of Lady Grey. What Japanese tea with puffed rice

N Irish tea tends to be served black and extremely strong
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:45 PM »
Twinings Assam for us - only in bags when travelling! The mint tea sounds nice, the strong coffee not good for folks with migraine.. :'(
We do go to Marrakech (their spelling). Chloe, the farthest north we get is the Serra da Estrela I think.
Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions everyone. If you think of anything else speak up! Someone told me to wear my hiking boots on the plane so I didn't have to pack them. Not sure they'll go with the Gucci  ???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
 ::) I would take binoculars too, some really good light weight ones so you don't miss a flora or fauna moment
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »
Already on the list! By the way, I can recommend Pentax Papilio binoculars for anyone who likes looking at smaller things. They focus down to about 50cm and can be used almost like a field microscope - fantastic for butterflies, dragonflies etc. They can still be used for birds and other animals.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

vivienr

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
Someone told me to wear my hiking boots on the plane so I didn't have to pack them.
...as long as you realise that UK airport security will ask you to remove them (or any other kind of boots) as you go through the security check - unless you are going through the new X-ray machines in Manchester which can see skin surfaces :o :o :o

The site which has current information about baggage restrictions etc. is
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/AirTravel/index.htm
It is worth paying attention to the hand baggage rules in particular as any banned articles you are found to have at the security check have to be thrown away.

I haven't been to the areas you are going to (where's the 'jealous' smiley?) so can't be much help, but I do agree that tea/coffee addicts need to ensure supplies of a suitable fix - for us it is Thyphoo and Carte Noir decaf :) :)

Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal