We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: I'm So Excited!!!  (Read 4516 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: I'm So Excited!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »
Great stuff Anne, you will enjoy it. I hope that a day in Marrakesh is included in the itinerary.
Take your own tea bags and a small water heater. Most hotels in Europe don't have a kettle n the room. And, when you are in Morocco do try the mint tea. It is so different to what we have in UK.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
Robin,

I have always gone abroad to enjoy the foreign experience. While at home I can have my tea (never teabags, by the way) and, to be honest, more likely coffee (grounds and all)  and tea, perhaps, once a year.

Anne, all hotels will have all the tea and coffee you will ever wish to drink. You simply ask. Lugging water heaters and tea with you is just a nuisance. Take an extra camera instead.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
Whittards do a lovely Moroccan mint tea. It was Ian Young who put me on to real tea.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerry

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »
Anne

This is the link http://www.ringtons.co.uk/

Grown and packed [and drunk] in the North East  ;). We send it to my daughter, who is forced to work in Windsor.

Gerry

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »
I hardly think that taking a familiar drink, say tea of whatever kind, with one on a trip really suggests that one is not open to the dietary experiences available around the world  ::)
Especially for someone with a digestive problem or disease, it may indeed  be important to have at least one thing that is familiar, perhaps to take medicine with......  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
Cho.....you mean Maggi  ::)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »
Yeah, Maggi, You're just making a case for your own "absolute necessities" which you pack in your suitcase.

But, I will make an exception for you. Chocolate is considered medicine by some and right they are too.

Paddy

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
Good mood food  ;D

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »
It would appear that I am always the odd one out in these discussions and no one ever shares my opinion, but that is ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Bearing in mind that I do not drink alcohol and very seldom drink coffee, I like a decent cup of tea, and not the excuse for tea that they serve in countries where they do not drink tea as a rule. I have travelled extensively in Europe, Africa, and North and South America, and sampled the local cuisine in all these places, but I have never found anything to equal a decent cup of tea. I did not bring teabags on my first few trips but soon got they message.
If you like a decent cup of tea, bring your own teabags,you will regret it if you don't :) :) :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
I do agree with you Michael.......... and  I wasn't thinking of my chocolate addiction at all, but of Ian's need for a cup of tea ....he suffers from Crohn's disease and while he is unusually fortunate in that he is able to eat most things in spite of the illness, he must take regular medicines and eat often..... his tea is part of his regime.  As Michael says, in some places it is not easy to get a simple cup of tea..... and it's not hard to bring your own so where's the harm ? 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
Well, Maggi, if you come to Ireland we will certainly stretch to a good cup of tea for you, and Ian.

Although this now reminds me of a man who came to our house, was served a cup of tea and commented, "Ah, shamrock tea". He went on to explain, "Three leaves". I didn't hit him with the teapot but I didn't ask him to the house again either.

Paddy
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:44:59 PM by Paddy Tobin »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »
Perhaps good herbal teas are more easily found abroad?  Here in Switzerland herbal teas are in abundance even Alpine plant teas are  numerous used for all sorts remedies.  I'm sure, too, the water used in tea making has a big influence on the flavour.....and now I have to admit to bringing Earl Grey tea from the UK.  Twinings Earl Grey bought here just doesn't taste the same :P

However I was so excited to find 3 parsnips in the supermarket the other day - never seen them here before  ;D

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
Robin,

My son, aged 17, has a liking for Earl Grey tea something which is a  mystery to me. As for parsnips - plenty growing in the garden and I dug up the first of them last weekend.

Funny thing about tea, coffee etc. When my son, John, was about 12 he was with us on a holiday in northern Italy. After dinner he asked the waiter for an espresso. Well, this brought the house about us. The waiter called the other waiters to show them the child who wanted to drink coffee and to show them the parents who would actually allow this. The owner was called and the chef and everyone else in the kitchen. All patrons in the restaurant were also duly informed. However, they eventually believed us that he was allowed to drink coffee.

Later, we were having some grappa and John asked to try some. The same waiter served him a glass of grappa without as much as a blink of an eye, as he had served him wine with dinner. Funny old world!

Paddy

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
It would appear that I am always the odd one out in these discussions and no one ever shares my opinion, but that is ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Bearing in mind that I do not drink alcohol and very seldom drink coffee, I like a decent cup of tea, and not the excuse for tea that they serve in countries where they do not drink tea as a rule. I have travelled extensively in Europe, Africa, and North and South America, and sampled the local cuisine in all these places, but I have never found anything to equal a decent cup of tea. I did not bring teabags on my first few trips but soon got they message.
If you like a decent cup of tea, bring your own teabags,you will regret it if you don't :) :) :)
Michael you are not the (only) odd one out!  I rarely drink alcohol and never drink coffee.  I am not excited by herbal tea ... give me a good cup of 'normal' tea anytime.

On topic - I'm so jealous Anne.   :)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »
Anne

This is the link http://www.ringtons.co.uk/

Grown and packed [and drunk] in the North East  ;). We send it to my daughter, who is forced to work in Windsor.

Gerry

By 'eck, that takes me back! I must admit Vivienne takes teabags, but only if we are self-catering. More trouble than they are worth in a hotel unless they provide a kettle.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:30:17 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal