We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scadoxus leaf problems  (Read 1234 times)

Calvin Becker

Scadoxus leaf problems
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
Although not a rock garden plant query, I thought that with all the knowledgeable members of the forum I might get an answer.

My plant of Scadoxus nutans has recently pushed out it's new growth for the season. I noticed that all the new leaves are covered in small convex bumps on one side, with the area on the other side of the leaf corresponding to the bump being sunken - similar to that disease that citrus get caused by citrus psyllid.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Is it possible that citrus psyllids would infect Scadoxus?
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Scadoxus leaf problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
Calvin, I do not think there is any doubt that citrus psyllids can, and do, infect other plants ( the main problem with that being the diseases they carry, such as the Citrus Greening disease but I do not think the damage showing on your Scadoxus foliage is typical of the damage from citrus psyllids.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal