We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Butterfield catalogue  (Read 12856 times)

Maxime_P

Re: Butterfield catalogue
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »
Thank you for answering. I tried Paypal once, but my credit card wasn't compatible so I left that idea behind as I did not want to attach my bank account directly to the Paypal account.

I sent my order by mail today with the cash inside, I hope it will come overseas well. The order is far from £50 (so much more  :-X ) but i still added £3 (not £2 since i'm living in a foreign country) for the winter flowering package.
I do not know if I order enough for this season ... I guess so but my mind is in the blur ... I don't know, why not 2 or 3 more ...  ::)
Maxime

Rob Potterton

• humble, down-trodden nurseryman!!
    • Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 06:34:47 PM »
Please be aware that sending cash by post - even registered post - IS NOT SAFE. In fact registered post seems least safe; you are making a statement that the envelope contains something of value. The addressee signs for the envelope not the contents. This year we have received 3 air mail registered letters that had cash removed, these looked perfectly intact ie they had been resealed without obvious evidence. It is not nice to be accused by your customer (the sender) of stealing his money and it is impossible to defend yourself.
Rob Potterton  Lincolnshire  UK

Potterton's on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottertons-Nursery/130403187026232

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
A bad experience for you, Rob.  >:(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
My catalogue hasn't arived. Do I need to ask for it every year?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Eric Locke

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »

Ian sends out his catalogue each year without having to request it.

Possible that if you did not order last year this is why it hasn"t arrived, as many nurseries these days only re-send if a purchase has been made from the previous years issue. This can be very annoying if you only order occasionally, but I guess these are not cheap to print and mail.

Eric

Maxime_P

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
Please be aware that sending cash by post - even registered post - IS NOT SAFE. In fact registered post seems least safe; you are making a statement that the envelope contains something of value. The addressee signs for the envelope not the contents. This year we have received 3 air mail registered letters that had cash removed, these looked perfectly intact ie they had been resealed without obvious evidence. It is not nice to be accused by your customer (the sender) of stealing his money and it is impossible to defend yourself.

Oh please don't scare me ... I know it's always dangerous to send things of value by the post office.
I put so many adhesive tape and staples that if someone open the mail, it will be difficult to make it look like nothing happened
The order was 'stapled' to the cash poket, in a big brown mail,i tried to hide what was inside the more i could ... I hope it will be fine.
Maxime

sjusovare

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 11:39:29 PM »
I apologize to squat a bit maxime's topic  :P but it was just to say that Maren's been kind enough to order some plants from Ian for me, and I found it quite convenient (and fast).
thx again   ;)
Julien

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 12:03:10 AM »
thanks, Julien,

I just want to make it quite clear that I did this as a favour. I'm not Ian's agent and there is no money in it for me. Just as we say in Germany, one hand washes the other, I hope you know what I mean. One must look after one's friends. :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
Hello, Maren,
I can confrirm that you are doing this merely as a favour both to Ian and to Julien..... and very kind of you it is, too, thank you!

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
Maxime, i wouldn't worry too much about sending notes in an ordinary letter. I've received payment this way several times without problems. Sending it was registred post is probably increase the risk.
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
I've sent many orders to I.Butterfield and sent the money by ordinary mail - never any problems  :D
Just once, I sent it by registered mail and he never received it...  >:(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 06:59:16 AM »
Maxime,
I have a bank account attached to PayPal, never had any problems. As a security measure this account never has too much money in it. If I know I'm going to make a purchase using PayPal I move money into that account from another account via telephone banking services.
Regards
Chris
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Hi,

with his permission, I have scanned Ian Butterfield's catalogue and put it on my website (Heritageorchids etc.). Just look at the Links section where you can browse or download it. It's a .pdf file, ready to be printed as a booklet. Choose landscape in your print options and it will turn out as a double sided A5 brochure.

Cheers. ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
Maren, this is very kind of you.... but I do not seem able to see a "links "section/heading?  :-[

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
Maggi on the side above below contacts You will see links and by pushing this You get the to the links and there You will find the one for the catalog.
Maybe You do not see it due to browser issues.
Hope You find it
Joakim
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:47:58 PM by Joakim B »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal