We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed Exchange to USA : helpful info here!  (Read 3458 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Seed Exchange to USA : helpful info here!
« on: November 23, 2006, 01:48:52 PM »
Here are the relevant SRGC website pages and links to USA pages to aid our American members.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/seed/seedlist.php  This is the main SRGC Seed exchange page, with lots of info, which I strongly recommend you read, to refresh yourselves of what is in the list, yearbook etc.:
 It includes this link to  online Seed list pdf:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/seed/seedlist.pdf

This is the APHIS page detailing USA regulations :
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/Q37/smalllotsseed.html

This is the form American members need to download/print off etc. to apply:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/seed/ppqform587.pdf
This must be done as soon as possible or you will not receive your permit in time for our distribution.

This is the NARGS list of restricted seed:
http://www.nargs.org/RestrictedSeed/
although we have tried to mark all such seed  with a Black spot in the seedlist.

It is vital that all USA members comply with your governments'  import regulations to enable us to send your seed.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 01:54:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Seed Exchange to USA : helpful info here!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:27:16 PM »

I re-post here a page from the old Forum that I thought would make things more clear to any USA Member in doubt about the USA APHIS seed import regulations. You will see that they were posted in September 2006, following the publication of similar instructions with the July Journal and Secretary's Pages.

SRGC Forum  Seed Exchange  VITAL RULES FOR USA MEMBERS 2006 
Posted  September  2006 -       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT NEWS FOR US MEMBERS WISHING TO APPLY FOR SEED THROUGH THE SRGC SEED EXCHANGE

The US Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has instituted and published a new rule regarding requirements for importing Small Lots of Seed. This new rule supersedes the previous need for SRGC to apply for (costly and delaying) phytosanitary certificates by establishing a new permit for importing Small Lots of Seed.

This rule came into effect on May 15, 2006, these new permits will be available at no charge to US citizens and will be valid for three years, and multiple uses.

To apply for seed through the SRGC Seed Exchange this year, members from the USA must apply for an Import License from the US authorities, and send it in with their orders for seed.

Details of the system and of how to apply for a permit are at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/Q37/smalllotsseed.ht ml .
A permit form can also be accessed through http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/permits/plantproduct s/nursery.html - click on the small lots of seed program, where you can download PPQ form 587, fill it in and send it to the USDA-APHIS-PPQ Permit Unit.
Page 2 of the application form contains "Special instructions for a small lots of seed permit." which says that on the first line of box 3, enter SMALL LOTS OF SEED PROGRAM, and on the next line enter ELIGIBLE TAXA. In section 4 the intended use is PROPAGATION - tick the box, and in Section 5 tick AIR MAIL.

The APHIS site will also have updated lists of plant taxa that are restricted or prohibited, or simply not eligible to be imported under this new Permit. You might want to know that APHIS's list of unenterable plants is not simply a list (as one would hope), but the current Nursery Stock Manual: a 370-page .pdf which must be downloaded. And it lists ALL plants/plant parts that are either prohibited or restricted.
An easier place to learn whether a seed is eligible for US import would be to go to the NARGS website: http://www.nargs.org/RestrictedSeed/
where there is a list of just seeds that may enter; it will have anything relevant that our groups are interested in growing.

Current import permits cannot be used for Small Lots of Seed; US members (or seed intake managers of US organizations) will have to obtain this new special permit.

The application, PPQ form 587, will have to be printed, filled out, and mailed.
Online permits can only be done if you have gone through the steps of receiving "eAuthentication".

Our strong advice is that US members should order their permits NOW; we do not know how long it will take US authorities to issue permits. Applying for a permit when the seed list arrives WILL BE TOO LATE! Instructions on what to do with your permit when you order seed will be in the seedlist and will be posted on the website too.

We regret that we will not be able to fulfil any seed orders from the US that do not have a permit accompanying the order.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 28, 2006 -       

Just a reminder to everyone, USA members and all others, that there will be NO online seed ordering this year.All orders will need to be posted in.

Posted September , 2006       

We have had a very generous offer from Joyce Fingerut of NARGS who has told us that if you have any questions regarding this matter you may contact her and she can help you through the permit application process. Joyce says “I'd like to see this go well for everyone!”

Joyce Fingerut can be emailed via: alpinegarden@comcast.net

Or, for any friends who do not have internet access, you can give them these contact details for questions and/or help:
Joyce Fingerut
537 Taugwonk Road
Stonington, CT 06378-1805
860-535-3067
MANY THANKS TO JOYCE FOR HER CONTINUING ASSISTANCE IN THESE MATTERS!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »
Hello, USA Members!

We did advise that it would be easier for our USA members if they applied for their permits well in advance of ordering but, in the event that you have not done so, our Seed Distribution Team have agreed on a method to help  you out with this difficulty.  You may send in your seed application, stating that you have applied for the necessary permits and that you will send the permits to Alan Hayes, when you get them. Your order will be held and when your permit(s) arrive, then, and only then, can we send your seed. Thus you will get your seed, albeit after whatever delay arises from your permits arriving here. We must stress that "no permit, no seed" is the rule! I would remind you that a permit is required for each batch of (up to) fifty seed packets, and  also  multiple permits and orders are requested for any surplus seed application, to a maximum of four (200 packets).
Please read all Seed Exchange instructions before ordering.
We will do our best to get everyone their seed in compliance with USDA regulations.

This is the message received from the Seed Team:

Quote from the Seed Distribution Team:  “We are happy to say to American members that for this year only, they can send in their seed order without the necessary APHIS permit, if they send a note which says permits to follow.  They must be prepared for us to hold the seed until the necessary paperwork arrives.  In this way they can order now and not be disadvantaged by a wait for APHIS to issue their permits.  Permits should follow as soon as possible to Alan Hayes, see seedlist for address.  Seed will not be dispatched if a permit does not arrive.”

We hope this will be of further service to our American friends. Happy browsing of the list  and good growing!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:43:02 AM by Maggi Young »

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 04:44:31 PM »
More Useful Details for U.S. Members:

First of all, thank you so much to the SRGC seed exchange group for allowing selections to precede permits.  I have now sent both along, and my APHIS permits should be arriving in Scotland soon if not there already.  And many thanks for this small lot of seed program which will help seed to arrive much sooner, perhaps in time for planting this year instead of next!

I emailed Joyce Fingerhut, and she confirmed that the US Postal Service has an agreement with APHIS to carry the seeds on from the APHIS office to your home delivery.  It is important for members to make sure the SRGC has your name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address correctly placed inside each box (take care filling out your exchange forms).  APHIS will use this information to contact you directly if there is the slightest glitch in getting the seeds out to you immediately.  The APHIS botanist at the Seattle Office was extremely helpful and friendly, and assured that they make every effort to get the seeds turned around immediately.  This is not the case with every APHIS office which are often understaffed and buried in the massive paperwork requirements they must meet, and this is one more headache for them, so please thank them for offering this program, it really benefits us, and be as helpful as you can by reading the instructions for the program and understanding how it works before contacting them.  I will gladly assist anyone with the process of obtaining or using your permits.  Another helpful link is the list of current APHIS contacts for their several offices.  It turns out the telephone numbers APHIS sent me with my permit were already outdated.

New APHIS link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/permits/plantproducts/cites/list.pdf

I hope I have inserted the hyperlink correctly.  One day soon I will learn how to use this new forum for posting pictures, etc.

One of the offices at this link will be printed on your yellow and green quarantine tags received with your permit.  Remember to send a permit and quarantine tag with each and every lot of seed you request up to a total of five as Maggie outlined above.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Oh Goody, the link worked in the preview

in Cordova, Alaska

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »
Here is my email address for any further questions about the small lot of seed programs and how to make it work on the USA end:  clay@ctcak.net

Wow!  I figured out the profile picture.  No, those aren't alpines in the picture.  I have to confess an affinity for dahlias.  They do so well in our wet, overcast climate, that I can't resist filling the larger spaces of my yard with them.  I find that the are slowly but surely succumbing to bulb frames and alpine beds, however.

Happy Holidays from Cordova
Clay
in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »
A reminder to all USA members about Seed Import Regulations, plus a suggestion to you that you read Joyce Fingerut's comment about a new APHIS consultation here on Alpine -L: 
https://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.cgi?A2=ind0910&L=alpine-l&F=&S=&P=2141

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal