We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Les Hesperides, Arucas  (Read 1036 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Les Hesperides, Arucas
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
Occasionally in life one is disappointed. Not often, granted, and it rarely occurs in viewing gardens. However a recent visit to Les Herperides was one of those occasions. The garden had received a great profile by a well known journalist in a gardening magazine (I'll save his blushes by ensuring anonymity). It had even crept into the list of the 1001 gardens that one should visit before one dies. Though I ought to have known that any subjective list contains a few duds. And anyway can there really be over 1000 truly great gardens in the world? Notwithstanding that expectations were high.

And then dashed.

I should have realised something was up because there was only one other visitor. Though the weather did not help. It was - as we say in Scotland - a dreich day.

The garden is reputed to have been designed by a Frenchman. That might be so. But he was clearly not a gardener. The grounds form the former private garden of a banana plantation owner and socialite. Next to the main house - which is modestly pleasing - is a conservation area, reputedly for rare and endemic plants, which has all the charm of a Marseilles' dockyard with various containers (and pots) strewn artistically across greenhouses with barely a nursery plant to be seen. To one side of the house is a small lake - as the guidebook advises - a body of water which would be called  a pond at home. It has an island tea house or pavilion in the oriental style as interpreted by the designer. The planting around the lake/pond is bold and aggressive: epiphytic orchids punched into trees and strangled to posts and big leaved beastly plants shading the dainty and frail. A small grotto can be seen...and quickly dismissed as stucco stone-dash. From in front of the lake/pond a series of paths radiate. Eschewing the tempting exit path (and it is a struggle) one can continue past a fountain (not working) a souvenir shop (not open) and a restaurant (closed - perhaps the French influence persists in the workers) towards the main area of the garden. Here one has the dilemma of a poor cacti garden and a poorer succulent garden or a walk past various exotic fruit trees where one might enjoy al fresco grazing. No contest. At the rear of the garden, enjoying a short rest with a fruit cocktail, can be viewed some impressive Dracaena draco, Pandanas, palms and agaves. The latter are huge; as the photo of an obliging visitor of average height attests.

The garden has a sad dejected air of an Alsace farm - unkempt, unloved and with no real identity.

On the positive: the paths were immaculate. Indeed, I'd recommended these paths as being on the list of 1001 paths one must see before one dies.

I stretched the visit to an hour to justify the entrance fee - though that hour felt like a lost weekend at Calais.

The woman who fleeced me at the entrance gate asked me whether I had enjoyed my visit. I gave a Gallic shrug. My sap was clearly running low

Type: French mechanical

Facilities: Shop, restaurant, toilets (which were open)

Information: Free Guide book with plants lists and a plan of the garden. Unfortunately, the plant lists use numeric references that are on the plant labels and since only a few labels persist the plant list is largely redundant. Entrance 6 euros.

Rating: 1.5/5 (and that's for the trees and for the acquiring wisdom i.e. don't believe all you all read in the gardening press).

I do however recommend visiting Arucas and spending a pleasant hour or two enjoying the pedestrianised streets and wonderful buildings of the town. The neo-Gothic church of St Juan is worth a viewing.

I'm reluctant to even provide any pictures but needs must...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:46:13 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

Re: Les Hesperides, Arucas
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
and afew more..
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
and pathways

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
The garden has a sad dejected air of an Alsace farm - unkempt, unloved and with no real identity.

Hi Frazer ,

I'm a little surprized about your statement of Alsace farms .....

I live near the french border ( Alsace) and I'm often see farms there- there is nothing to say against this farms ....thats places for working and not for fun .

I do not believe that in your country the farms always looks really nice !

Do you think that the people from Alsace are special disorderly ?

Hans

"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
See what you mean Frazer, pathways to die for :P Didn't see the alsatian though ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal