We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria ID  (Read 1375 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Fritillaria ID
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:59:44 AM »
I grew this Frit. from Gothenburg Bot. G . seed labelled F. minuta , which it is certainly not. 
  Neither is it as far as I can tell conica or carica or forbsii orsibthorpiana or minima ,
  could it be euboeica ? Would be grateful for a positive ID,
         Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Gerry Webster

Re: Fritillaria ID
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:00:06 PM »
I grew this Frit. from Gothenburg Bot. G . seed labelled F. minuta , which it is certainly not.  
  Neither is it as far as I can tell conica or carica or forbsii orsibthorpiana or minima ,
  could it be euboeica ? Would be grateful for a positive ID,
         Otto.
Ottto - it could be F. euboeica. Rix in 'Flora Europaea' describes the leaves as glaucous (not obvious from your pic), the style as trifid (branches 1-4 mm) & the capsule as unwinged. The nectaries, not visible in your pic, are dark brown & lanceolate (2.5-4 x 1 mm).

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
I am more inclined to a form of F. aurea, Otto. In our experience, F. euboeica does not have the raised "shoulders that your picture shows, with the nectaries "raised" up, but has a longer, slimmer flower with a smoother outline.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:13:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »
I am more inclined to a form of F. aurea, Otto. In our experience, F. euboeica does not have the raised "shoulders that your picture shows, with the nectaries "raised" up, but has a longer, slimmer flower with a smoother outline.
Yes, perhaps this is  more likely given flower shape. I hadn't thought of that due to absence of obvious tessellation & yellow-green colour. F. aurea as I know it is more golden-yellow. If it is F. aurea, the nectary is rhomboid, 2 mm diam.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:28:06 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:49:41 AM »
Maggi and Gerry , thanks for your help , I think we are now on the right track . Came across Ian's article "Small yellow Frits" in The Rockgarden  , June 2002 , photo No. 171 , depicting F. aurea 'Golden Flag' -with nectaries that are rhomboid and not dark brown as in euboeica .It has the same coloured foliage as my "normal" aurea but is devoid of any tesselation -certainly not as handsome as the normal aurea .

a pic of my normal aurea
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal