We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hand pollination  (Read 1188 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Hand pollination
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:36:18 AM »
The closest I could find in the seedy subjects to what I want to say, was Hand pollination of Arisaemas but this can apply to almost anything I think, so a new thread.

I had a lovely visit today with Louise Salmond of Hokonui Alpines, and as usual, spent my life's savings but what the heck? After lunch and in the course of a wonderful trip around the nursery, all the parts that are usually not for public view, Louise showed me her two favourite pollinating tools, and how they worked on the appropriate plants. No 1 was a small branch of Helichrysum plumeum which is a woolly version of the various H. selago types. Poked into a primula, gentian or whatever, it comes out covered in pollen and may then be poked into the next relevant flower. I shall be growing a couple of extra plants of it, for use as pollinating brushes. So quick, so easy and so very effective and not needing to be washed afterwards, just flicked away and a new twig taken when needed.

The other tool was a slim blade of ordinary grass, a kind which has those microscopic hairs at the edges and on the blade. We all have masses of them. A couple of inches are enough and the blade with its pointed end can be poked into the tiniest flowers such as a myosotis or androsace and again, comes out with pollen which can then be transferred to the next candidate. Louise demonstrated on something VERY precious but I won't say what it was in case someone tempts her with a better bribe than I can think of.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Hand pollination
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:04:27 AM »
Neither are things I would have thought of, Lesley.  Didn't think of using furry plants in that manner.  Thanks for passing that on.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:21:23 AM »
Our supply of camels and their brushes are sadly depleted in Southern Australia, so I've been relying on grass stems for most of my pollinating for a long time. I prefer to use the base of the stem rather than the tip of the blade - may try your (Louise's) hint next time! The firmer base though is better where you have to use a "little" force such as gently opening the stigmatic lip of a bearded iris.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Darren

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
it is a good idea Lesley. Not being the best organised person, if I need to pollinate something I just look around for a suitable tool. as with Fermi - often this is the stem base of one of those annual grasses that keep popping up in pots - they may as well earn their keep. One one memorable occasion with a plant that had a long narrow floral tube I decided to use a cactus spine. Unfortunately the pollen didn't stick too well so I decided to moisten the spine with my tongue....you can guess the rest.  It did work however! 

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
A painful experience Darren. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:06 AM »
In my opinion the best tool for hand pollinating are Qtips. One can be used for two species and you never have the problem to put wrong pollen (what could happen when a brush is used) on the stigmas.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
Neat and practical advice, Hans.

I wish you a very happy birthday.... hope the rain stops long enough for you to have a good time!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal