We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Re: Foliage now-November 2009  (Read 4444 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Foliage now-November 2009
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 02:23:19 AM »
I hope the results are all good, Guy!  Best wishes for everything going well in the long term with the new knee.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
Thanks Paul,Your wishes are well received :) :),its now just over 4 weeks for part two,and considering the state of knee and leg I'm doing great,and try to take a trip abroad on the 10Th Dec.
Wile it was driving rain here and storm all day,I did try to make a few pics,altough there is not much left here right now,I got my first Hepatica Transilvatica and lots are in but,very promissing,also a few nice Saxifrage Fort,nice to have them in flower this time of the year.there are also some snowdrops showing live in the garden.will keep an eye on them to get to post them when in flower.
Also hellebore's look promising with lots of buds showing.I look forward to bore You all with my newest in time.
cheers,
Guy
PS the pic of the acer I have named wrong,as Senkakii.......as they changed the nomenclature !!
I love the winter colour of the bark

Acer senkaki
 Hepatica  transylvatica 21.11.09
 Salvia Leucanth Midnight
 Saxifraga fortunei Black Ruby
 Saxifrage fortunei christal pink
 Saxifrage Fortunei Cortusifolia Rubrifolia
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:37:28 PM by Maggi Young »
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
What lovely things you have found to photograph, Guy, the Salvia is fabulous and the leaf colour in particular of the Saxifraga - thanks for showing them  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:39 PM »
Pleasing me the most today are the various forms of Cyclamen hederifolium in my garden.   8)

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
And also still making an impact is this supposedly hardy 'Begonia Beni Tochiba'.  (this is my first year with it so I shall let you know next year if it is still alive!   ;))  I think it looks particularly nice with the autumn leaves.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
Lovely leaf shapes and colours John.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »
Pleasing me the most today are the various forms of Cyclamen hederifolium in my garden.   8)

these are fantastic :) i really should try some cyclmen inside...i think likely only purpurascens is going to make it outside here..

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
John,

I just love the Cyc. hed. with the clean white leaf interior and dark green surrounds (#18).  It must be striking in the flesh.  :o :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
Lovely selection, John.

Cohan, here we would consider C. hederifolium the hardiest of the cyclamens and might be a good choice for outdoors.

Paddy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:57:43 AM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 08:37:46 AM »
John,

I just love the Cyc. hed. with the clean white leaf interior and dark green surrounds (#18).  It must be striking in the flesh.  :o :o

Hi Paul

It is definitely in my top 5.  It is one of Peter Moore's named forms from Tilebarn Nursery and is called 'Greville'.

Regards

John

John

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »
I think someone posted a similar leaf form they took photos of in the wild, but that is the only one I can recall looking like that.  Very striking combination as the white is so clean and the green is so dark.  I'll have to keep the name in mind for seed lists in the future.  Definitely worthwhile tracking that one down I think.  Thanks for the extra info.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
Hi Paul

You got me wondering about the seedlings - I have had a poke about and found these 3 that I presume are offspring - not sure if they are ever going to live up to Mummy though (Or should that be Daddy with a name like Greville?)   ???

John

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »
Cohan, here we would consider C. hederifolium the hardiest of the cyclamens and might be a good choice for outdoors.
Paddy

I've only found C. purpurascens to be hardy outdoors here to date... in vastly different conditions than yours, though, of course. 
(An aside... my green/patterned leaf plant produced about a dozen seedlings this year!  Way to go, ants!  ;))
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »
Paddy

I've only found C. purpurascens to be hardy outdoors here to date... in vastly different conditions than yours, though, of course. 
(An aside... my green/patterned leaf plant produced about a dozen seedlings this year!  Way to go, ants!  ;))

lori--this ant distribution(which of course i have heard of before) is fascinating; was this from the purpurascens you have shown before?

paddy--hederifolium and coum are in all the catalogues, but since lori has not had luck with hederifolium and johnw has mentioned losing it in a spell of -20C without snow (something that is pretty much guaranteed here at some point or points each winter) i think my odds are slim to non-existant; if anything, maybe a pot that goes somewhere sheltered in winter..

on the plus side, i was thrilled to find germination in some purpurascens seeds from two sources that i got in the fall--they had dried out after washing/before planting (didnt read directions carefully enough) then i had problems getting the moisture even in the bag-enclosed seed pots, so i was worried i had done them in, but i now have seeds up from at least 2 of 3 batches :) now i just have to keep them alive til spring..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal