We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cleaning berries  (Read 2898 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Cleaning berries
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »
Cohan  - At the Arnold Arboretum they had an old blender with the blades covered in heavy duty elastic bands like the ones they put on lobster claws.   The bands were roughly wrapped around the blades so as not to perfectly flat. A few jogs and the seeds are separated.  I have been banned from using the food processor but will be interested in your results. Still using the microwave late at night.

johnw

they used this approach for cornus canadensis? hard to believe that simple battering would do the trick...
i think i also would have trouble if i used the food processor on 'nasty dirty berries from the ground where deer and coyotes go to the bathroom and bugs all over...'...my words, but the sentiment should be about right ;)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 04:45:56 AM »
Oh dear.  I let my Paeonia caucasica seeds dry.  Do I have to scrape the black
skin off?

I won't bother sending them.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 04:49:40 AM »
Oh dear.  I let my Paeonia caucasica seeds dry.  Do I have to scrape the black
skin off? I won't bother sending them.

Peony seeds aren't berries, and require no complex preparation. In fact, they're one of the simplest of seeds to prepare: just remove them from the capsule when it gapes open and you're done.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal