We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Edinburgh Show, 14 April 2007  (Read 8357 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Edinburgh Show, 14 April 2007
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »
Thanks Maggi for explaining.  :-*
It is as I expected ONE plant with some obvoius extras for the bulbus "identical" plants.
A bit of lack of imagination I would think not to have the mixed in there :-\  or a class for them, but then it might be more of "flower arrangement" maybe?
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »
Some more pictures from the Edinburgh show.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
The winning primula is definitely a selected form of P auricula. I've attached a photo of P auriculata taken in wild - compare the leave form and flowers, entirely different David.

Joakim - there is a category in our shows where you can mix many small plants together, in a miniature garden. This produces some wonderful exhibits and on occasions gives the judges a real challenge to judge!
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
Yes, Luc, the Pleione was superb. Didn't count the number of flowers though. And no danger of getting a hernia lifting such a large pot either! (Which is a shower's nightmare when palnts get big - think it must have been full of bark chippings).
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »
A couple more .The paeony cambessedesii looked magnificent so I hurried to the plant sales and grabbed one !  What a horrible name for such a lovely flower.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »
The winning primula is definitely a selected form of P auricula. I've attached a photo of P auriculata taken in wild - compare the leave form and flowers, entirely different David.

Hi Dave and to Maggi also, my apologies, my fingers were working much faster than my brain. I looked at the plant, having looked at the label first, and thought "that plant looks to have some P. auricula in it"- looked at the label again and thought "well if it is P. auriculata the owner , of all people, ought to know". Of course I should have picked up John Richard's bible before I opened my mouth.

Having said that who would enter a plant in a show bearing a wrong label, in a pot also having the price tag ticket for the plant?? I certainly wouldn't.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 09:30:45 AM »
Sandy Leven has put the 2007 show report on line (http://www.srgc.org.uk/shows/edinburgh/report.html). Some more shots of fantastic plants. I must get some of that blue nasturtium from you Alan :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 09:32:28 AM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal