We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rattlesnake Orchid Goodyera pubescens seed  (Read 1436 times)

melbee

Rattlesnake Orchid Goodyera pubescens seed
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
Hi
can any one suggest when would be the best time to take the seed from this Rattlesnake Orchid  Goodyera pubescens. It looks ready now to me .I don't want to leave it too long or all the seeds will end up on the greenhouse floor like last times

I hope the image has stuck to the paper and its big enough to see   ;D
Regards
Mel

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Rattlesnake Orchid Goodyera pubescens seed
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
Too early (at least by the picture).... The capsule will not dehisce until it has yellowed and begun to dry--that's when it's time. Keep in mind that sowing and germinating orchid seed is among the most demanding of horticultural pursuits and usually done in sterile laboratory conditions.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

melbee

Re: Rattlesnake Orchid Goodyera pubescens seed
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
Hi Carlo
Thanks for that information .Would you be able to estimate how long untill I am able to harvest .The time when the seeds are not ready to where they have disappeared all over the floor seems to be quite narrow . :D
I love orchids especially the ones that grow in England .I have quite a few Rattlesnake orchids but only two that have gone to seed .I will probably keep the seeds or sell them on I haven't really thought about it .I will have to harvest them first that could limit my options . ;D
The challenge of growing orchid seed I will take up and give it a go  as soon as I get time .It sounds really interesting
Thanks
Mel

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal