We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus April 2007  (Read 14540 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Crocus April 2007
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:18:58 AM »
Crocus autranii is quite rare but I have had it for about 10 years. It has nevered increased and never set seed though it flowers regularly. This flower has been a bit chewed by something.

12483-0

This is a very nice deep coloured form of C. banaticus. There are very many in my garden, gradually spreading both bt seed and vegetatively.

12485-1
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:22:44 AM by Otto Fauser »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: Crocus April 2007
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
Hello Otto and welcome to the forum!
Wonderful photos, please show us more of your collection!

Here the last Crocus versicolor flowering in the
Alpes Maritimes in 1450 m last week:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:06:02 AM by Thomas Huber »
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
Not far away I found thousands of Bulbocodium/Colchicum vernum in flower:

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »
Welcome Otto!!  Great pics! (you too Thomas)  Keep em coming everyone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:18:59 PM »
After about a week of cold and snow, finally a nice warm sunny day. Still many crocus just starting to pop up out of the ground. 

The crocus in the second picture is really blue in color, and I think it's Skyline.  I really need a new camera. I only see one of this "Skyline" I took pollen from it and put it on all the Prince Klaus flowers that were opened. Third picture, crocus is Tricolor, not sure what the yellow one is. I had one Firefly flower open, so I put pollen from it onto all the open Tricolors. I didn't take a picture, but I have some tomassinianus roseus opened also, and I took some pollen and stuck it on some giants. I then took some pollen from a couple different giants and put it back on Roseus. Does Roseus produce seed?

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 10:47:15 PM »
Is Pickwick and King of Striped the same crocus? If these are different and you have pictures of each, could you post them so I can see the difference. Thanks.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »
I've boobed again :( Put my pots of Crocus behind the greenhouse to die back and forgot about them. Suddenly remembered them today and went to have a look. Plenty of "straw" on top and not a scrap of green leaf to be seen, pots as dry as- (here's a good old Yorkshire expression)- a tram drivers glove!! Don't ask me to explain it. Gave 'em a good water just in case. Are they likely to be worth saving taking into account they were nothing special?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
If they were very yellow in the leaf, David, then you wasted your time watering them now! I'd let 'em dry out again and keep them dry till repotting later in the year. Excess moisture at this point is likely to do more harm than good. I suspect the BD  is about to mention this very scenario in a coming log... watch out for that.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »
I suspect the BD  is about to mention this very scenario in a coming log... watch out for that.

There I go again-always at the cutting edge!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »
There I go again-always at the cutting edge!!
Yes, David, but are you safe with sharp objects? :o ;)

Guff:  Pickwick and King of Striped are different crocus varieties, to my mind, the first has all over stripes whereas the King of Striped has stronger stripes on only three of the petals... but try searching Google for pix of these plants and you will soon discover that there is as much confusion wihth these two varieties as ther are with many  others in commerce! You will see that for both types ther is a wide range of pictures given though not, funnily enough, an overlap between the two!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
David
I made the same mistake and thought they were doomed but underneath I found nice bulbs so I will save in the pot and see what comes next year. I do not take them up and repot them since they will have a dry summer here in Portugal anyway and I am to lazy to repot them and to be honest I do not understand why one should repot unless they are congested.  ???
Joakim
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:58:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »
Joakim, it's good to know I am not alone in making mistakes!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
Maggie, yes I did Google, but that is were the problem was. They both looked the same to me, therefore I thought there were misnamed pictures, or that they are the same crocus. I had hoped someone had both and could post pictures, so I could see the difference.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 07:46:21 AM »
Hi Guff!

Sorry, but I've overlooked your question about Pickwick/King of the Striped! I have some "King of the Striped" corms, but they are virused and not worth seeing. Below a photo of "Pickwick" and a link to Vanengelen's homepage with a photo of "King of the Striped".

Yes, my tommi "Roseus" does set seed !! Good luck with your pollination games  ;)

http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=3118&_category=Crocus

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 04:35:20 AM »
Thomas, thanks. I can see the difference now. I will have to check my giant crocus bank tomorrow. I planted 200 giants this past fall on the bank. I like the species much more, so many more flowers per corm. I have been putting Roseus pollen on most of the giants that are open. I also noticed Prince Klaus doesn't have any pollen, does it sets seed?

I have a tommy that is teal/aqua blue. I only see 3 of these in the bed. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow, doubt my camera will capture it though. Any guess by going by the color?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal