Specific Families and Genera > Iris

Iris early summer 2007

<< < (6/6)

David Shaw:
Like that, David!

fermi de Sousa:
Sorry to tell you, David,
that it looks like what is in the trade here as "Bronze beauty" or some such nonsense! It appears to be half way between the usual blues and yellows and the good chocolate brown types. I think it may be useful for breeding with the browns to get some different shades.
The pictures on the packets of "Mixed Dutch Iris" always used to show a brown one but after buying them on and off fro 20 years the results were always the blues and yellows and an occasional white. I presumed that the sellers just used pictures that came from overseas and that we didn't have any of the true brown ones in Australia.
About 5 years ago a nurseryman friend gave me some bulblets of "Thunderbolt" which is yellow in the bud but opens a chocolatety brown. If I ever get my act together I may get around to crossing this one with some of the others, but it is a late flowerer and I think last year there were no other Dutch Iris around when it bloomed ( it was a bad year for them last year due to a drought in the growing season).
cheers
fermi

David Shaw:
Better put my tie on and head for the office then. Shame.
Maybe next time :D

Anthony Darby:
I bought this [ Iris ensata 'Laughing Lion'] a couple of weeks ago at the Torwood Garden Centre (Chip Lima). The pic was taken on 16 June, but another flower has opened today. I like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version