We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Good colored Crocus mathewii  (Read 7446 times)

winwen

Good colored Crocus mathewii
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
Hi,

on two occasions in the past, I bought some crocus mathewii-bulbs (always from the same nursery) but unfortunately none of them  was nearly as deep colored as the beautiful plants in Ian Young's bulblog or the fantastic crocuses (from art600 I think) shown in the forum. I know that c. mathewii is quite variable in coloring but having only plants looking linke having been "washed out" is not really funny  :-\.
I therefore would like to ask, if someone could help me getting some of the really beautiful colored c. mathewii (bulbs or seeds).
For exchange, I could offer seeds and bulbs of Lilium alexandrae, L. nobilissimum, bulbs of L. majoense and possibly bulbs of L. ledebourii or white L. japonicum f. albomarginatum.
Best time for exchange would be in spring next year - I think!
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Good colored Crocus mathewii
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:24:15 PM »
I notice Paul Christian is offering a pink form with a purple thoat.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

winwen

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
The crocuses I mentioned above were bought from PC.
The picture attached is to show what I mean. The crocus photographed was one of the better colored.....

Beautiful -yes indeed, but far from the sensational pix that are always shown concerning Crocus mathewii here in the forum, in the blog or on the website of some nurseries. :-[
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:20:44 PM by winwen »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:37:53 PM »
If memory serves, the strongly coloured  plants of C. mathewii pictured by Art600 came from Peter Moore (Tilebarn Nursery) from whom I also had plants several years ago. Taxing my memory further, I think Peter had them directly from Brian Mathew. I lost my plants fairly quickly but did not shed too many tears for, although the colour was striking,  the flowers were insubstantial. I seem to remember Paul T commenting that his plants, also strongly coloured, had substantial flowers so, unsurprisingly, it would appear  that seed-raised C. mathewii  are quite variable in all respects. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:33:38 AM »
A few years ago I had one that I'd just bought from PC come up totally devoid of any purple. What's more, the petals were cream. He replaced it with a nice dark form.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
Hi,

I therefore would like to ask, if someone could help me getting some of the really beautiful colored c. mathewii (bulbs or seeds).

I am having lunch with Peter Moore tomorrow and hope to buy some more of his beautiful Crocus mathewii.  I will add a couple of pots for you and when the time is right will post them to you.  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

winwen

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:33:12 PM »
Thank you so much Arthur for your help! These really are good news.
Kind regards
Erwin

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
Mission accomplished  8)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:16 AM »
I have a couple of large pots full of the Peter Moore form, which is a beautiful colour - you are more than welcome to one or two next year if you want any more then. I actually threw away some of the sub-FS corms this year because I just can't accommodate pot after pot of these things! But, I would hate to be without it, it's a wonderul plant.

Alex

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
I actually threw away some of the sub-FS corms this year because I just can't accommodate pot after pot of these things! But, I would hate to be without it, it's a wonderul plant.

Alex

AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! Good grief, Alex, are you MAD?  I assure you there would be a good home offered through this Forum to any extra babies you may have!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »
yes, me for one!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

winwen

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »
Arthur, Alex: Many thanks again!
I had always hoped to get some of the wonderful intensively colored Mathewiis. As Jim Archibald told me some years ago: there are enough C. mathewii but not enough intensively colored ones.

BTW: Does anyone know if C. mathewii is self fertile or self sterile?

kind regards
Erwin

Gerry Webster

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
I have a couple of large pots full of the Peter Moore form, which is a beautiful colour - you are more than welcome to one or two next year if you want any more then. I actually threw away some of the sub-FS corms this year because I just can't accommodate pot after pot of these things! But, I would hate to be without it, it's a wonderul plant.

Alex

Alex - I'd be interested to know when you got your plants from Peter Moore & what you think of this form apart from the colour. As I noted above, I had some from him many years ago (more than 10) &, apart from the colour, I found them very disappointing & insubstantial. In fact, I remember thinking it a pity that BM was celebrated by such a miserable plant. I wonder whether Peter has since acquired a superior form?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
I got them in 2001 I think, don't have any photos but it is a very nice form. I've already potted them up for this year, but should have some to give away next Summer. Let me know nearer the time.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
Thanks Alex. I'll get in touch next year.

Gerry

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal