We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mandrakes, mandragora, aint no mountain high enough  (Read 13635 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Mandrakes, mandragora, aint no mountain high enough
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »
Note to self: Try to make 2010 the year I read the Harry Potter books...

You wouldn't Maggi,would you? ;D
Probably not, Michael! They don't seem to be the subject of discussion of every child about nowadays, as they were a few years ago..... that was when I thought I really ought to read them so I wasn't being left out of the conversation with any Littlees! :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »
Aha! The Harry Potter books! My impression is that Rowland doesn't work out her plots in sufficient detail before she really buckles down to business. As a result, in all four I've read, about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through, she has to introduce some hitherto unanticipated element (i.e. a deus ex machina) into the plot so she can start tying up loose ends. It put me off enough I've never bothered to read the last 3 in the series.

It's a rule of good fiction that all surprise developments are foreshadowed. The classic example is the murder mystery on the last page of which Max Carrados announces "the butler did it" and you, the reader, go aha! why didn't I see that: page 2 made it obvious (in retrospect).

Rowland's lack of foresight is similar to that of movie maker John Waters. About the same distance into one of his crazy movies, the plot goes completely off the rails; however, he doesn't do the d. ex. m. trick. Instead, he lets the viewers writhe in agony.

A much more adult series with something of the same flavor is Jack Vance's "Lyonesse" series. Gollancz is publishing them in a single volume in the spring. There will be a pop quiz in May.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »
I planned to read the Harry Potters in 2010 too Maggi. Now I think I won't but I've not seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies either. NOT a good Kiwi. :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal