We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bulb log 26 01/07/09  (Read 3416 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
bulb log 26 01/07/09
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »
Re Dactylorhizas (and other orchids)
Orchid seed needs to be supplied with nutrients in order to germinate since the seed contains none. This can be done by germinating on agar with suitable admixtures; something that requires some laboratory facilities - even if primitive. In nature they germinate in symbiosis with fungi that supply the nutrients. Mature plants may have got rid of the fungus but it should be in the soil where seedlings appear. You can try to grow these fungi on decaying organic matter and sow orchid seed on them. There is a fair chance that the seed will develop into a protocorm that after vernalisation will grow into a seedling.
I have some data on how to do it more in detail somewhere but I am in the summer place sending this from a laptop. There is rainy and windy outside otherwise I would not be doing this now. If you want more info you will have to pester me privately.
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: bulb log 26 01/07/09
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
Göte most soils contain fungus unless they are treated with fungicides. As is shown in earlier logs the seeds may develop in pots where they are undisturbed for longer times with the fungi that are present there naturally and that is without any other orchids have been growing there before to get the fungus started.

It would be interesting to hear about Your ways of growing the seeds on decaying organic matter. I have only heard of pleiones done this semi in vitro way before. This would be a more controlled way than just putting them in a pot / container and hope they will grow.

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:21:06 PM by Joakim B »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

gote

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
Göte most soils contain fungus unless they are treated with fungicides. As is shown in earlier logs the seeds may develop in pots where they are undisturbed for longer times with the fungi that are present there naturally and that is without any other orchids have been growing there before to get the fungus started.

It would be interesting to hear about Your ways of growing the seeds on decaying organic matter. I have only heard of pleiones done this semi in vitro way before. This would be a more controlled way than just putting them in a pot / container and hope they will grow.

Kind regards
Joakim
Yes there are fungi everywhere but not all kinds of fungus work. If they did, orchid seed would be sprouting as weeds everywhere considering the number of seed they set.
I do not do it myself, I have been in correspondence with a gentleman in Berlin who does. I can dig out his description but it will take a few daYS SINCE i AM NOT AT HOME NOW.
gÖTE 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »
Thanks for that Göte it would be interesting. It sounds worth waiting for. :)
I think there is a need to have them undisturbed during the time as well and not with to big competition and that also keeps the orchids from being all over the place.
All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

gote

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
I do not do it myself, I have been in correspondence with a gentleman in Berlin who does. I can dig out his description but it will take a few daYS SINCE i AM NOT AT HOME NOW.
gÖTE 
[/quote
I am not tying to shout.I just hit the caps lock without noticing  :-[
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »
Ian and Maggi ... I don't know if either of you have been informed of this link but it may be of interest to both of you for different reasons?
Please feel free to cancel this post if you already know of this page.

http://transatlanticplantsman.typepad.com/transatlantic_plantsman/alpines_and_rock_plants/
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
Graham Rice is Graham Rice OK but how DARE he say a word against our Bulb Log. The number of Forum members and lurkers says clearly that the way the Bulb Log is set up works very well for us.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »
Who is Graham Rice please??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
This link will reveal all, David.

http://grahamrice.com/about/index.html
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »
No competition - Bulb Log 100%   ;D     B.....log 50/50%  :-\
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 07:54:20 PM »
This link will reveal all, David.

http://grahamrice.com/about/index.html

Many thanks Cliff, I vaguely knew the name but couldn't relate it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »
I know him best as the other half of the Strangman Hellebore book but obviously there's more to him than that.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
I see no error in having a different opinion on the format than what is the one used in the logs.
He did give the logs good publicity (maybe not needed) but would prefer a different format blogs.

There are advantages with both I would say and I am happy with the choice that has been made here.
Maggi's responses where excellent so here is a case of lets "agree to disagree"

All the best
Joakim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal