We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula flowering "early" in 2009 instead of 2010!  (Read 5421 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Primula flowering "early" in 2009 instead of 2010!
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »
In late 2007 or early 2008 Hans Hoeller was kind enough to send me a batch of Primula cuttings from his garden. Here's one of them, Primula auricula pushing up a flower today. Now that is early!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:38:25 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johanneshoeller

Re: Early Primula 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:36:09 PM »
Early or late? The first seedlings of 2008 have started to flower in this days (due to the very warm weather after the first snow). I think it is villosa x auricula and daonensis x auricula.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »
They're very pretty Hans. I'm pleased to see quite a lot of seed on my tiny plants of P. daonensis. The capsules look very big for the size of the plants.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of a little seedling from seed parent Primula 'Blue Wave', pollen parent unknown but possibly a red(ish) Auricula. I have also added a pic of Blue Wave.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
David, these are different from the seedlings of 'Blue Wave' from the seed you sent to me. They are all crimson reds or reddish purple. (When I say 'all' I mean the 5 which have so far flowered.) I should have taken pics but they are still in their seed pot and a bit crowded for pics. Like a thousand other things that need doing, I'll get to them soon, I hope.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:41:16 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »
Looking good David !!

I'll be looking forward to see "Blue Wave" in the flesh... ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:55:32 PM »
David, these are different from the seedlings of 'Blue Wave' from the seed you sent to me. They are all crimson reds or reddish purple. (When I say 'all' I mean the 5 which have so far flowered.) I should have taken pics but they are still in their seed pot and a bit crowded for pics. Like a thousand other things that need doing, I'll get to them soon, I hope.

I have more than one clone of 'Blue Wave' Lesley and in different parts of the greenhouse so a wide variety of babies doesn't surprise me at all.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:58 AM »
Beautiful, David. :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
David. the image of the blue Primula Blue Wave is very beautiful.
Ulla
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
Do you mean, David, that you have more than one clone (not possible, of a named variety) or more than one plant of the clone? Either way, you know I'm just being difficult for the sake of it. You could even say anal, if you wanted to. :D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »
Thank you Ulla.

Lesley, poor choice of words on my part. One clone but more than one plant of it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
Good man!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal