We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Unknown plant : perhaps Fuchsia species?  (Read 1489 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Unknown plant : perhaps Fuchsia species?
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
Howdy All,

I think this is a Fuchsia species.  Pics were taken at a friend's place.  Has the hallmarks of a Fuchsia I think, but I wouldn't even know where to start in trying to identify it.  The flower is only about 2.5-3cm long, with leaves maybe 12.5cm maximum?  At least on the plant at present.  Has been grown protected from frost to keep it alive, as no assumptions are being made as to what it will survive until we can work out what it actually IS?  ???

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:54:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
Re: Fuchsia species?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:38:19 AM »
Paul

Isn't it Cestrum fasciculatum or 'newellii', fuchsias usually have long stamens.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:52:33 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Fuchsia species?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »
Thanks Oron.  Looking elsewhere on the Net that looks like it's correct.  Never heard of it before, and certainly never would have found it without your help!  ;D  Thank you so much.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

Re: Unknown plant : perhaps Fuchsia species?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »
Certainly looks like a cestrum x newellii. I have one in the garden which grows with the habit of an herbaceous perennial and has yet to reach flowering this year. I imagine your climate would suit it better than mine.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:16:02 PM »
Looking at the internet, the Cestrum fasciculatum is supposed to be frost tender?  The one in my pics has apparently no problem with frost at all.  I thought she was protecting her plant, but checked with her and it isn't bothered by our frost here at all.  Do those growing that species or x newellii have experience with frost hardiness?  If it is supposed to be frost tender (as some googling revealed) then I must have something a bit different?

Hmmm... just checked and apparently cestrum x newellii is hardier and will tolerate a reasonable degree of frost.  8)  Thanks Guys.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:17:38 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
Paul,

Generally, we have been frost free for several years. To illustrate, we have all but given up the practice of mulching cannas and gingers in the garden as they have come through a succession of winters with ease. This last winter was an exceptionally cold one, almost a novelty for us. However, I have found Cestrum x newellii always dies back over the winter and doesn't  come into flower until late in the season, certainly into autumn. My one plant of C. x newellii has yet to flower this season. It is presently about 80cm high, in good health but no flowers. We haven't had subzero temperatures here for years which, on reflection, makes  me wonder why my cestrum dies back each winter. I don't imagine the temperatures we have had were enough to cut it back. There must be some other reason. It is best to describe its growing habit as being like an herbaceous perennial.

Hope that is of some help.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
My friend has it outside and we've had below -6'C this year.  Has full leaves and still has flowers on it, so that level of cold hasn't pushed it into dormancy here.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal