We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus albiflos  (Read 1639 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Haemanthus albiflos
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:01:33 AM »
Howdy All,

I'm posting this here, but asking for a confirmation of ID?  I received this as Haemanthus albiflos, but the flowerhead is shaped differently, and it is flowering MUCH later than the other albiflos that I own.  I realise it could be just a form of the species that is slightly different, but there are a number of white ones so it could also be another species?  Very short flowerhead, with new leaves just emerging on an evergreen (holding the last set of leaves).  This is the first year I have owned it, so I don't know whether it will always flower this late or not.

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Alessandro.marinello

Re: Haemanthus albiflos
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
Paul compliments,
 from the leaves  would be said H.albiflos
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »
Alessandro,

Thanks.  I thought that it probably IS the correct species, just a bit different to my other ones.  With so many white ones about I was just unsure.  Now it remains to be seen whether it flowers this later for me every year or whether this was just an anomoly due to only coming to me this summer?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
I agree with you, Paul about it being different. I would agree witht he leaves being the same, and  ours are almost evergreen too, but there is just something about the flowerhead. Maybe there are two forms in cultivation and you have both.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal