We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calling Forumists, old and new: Please Register for the New Forum  (Read 19965 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Hello Everyone, Welcome to the new SRGC Forum pages. We have taken the opportunity afforded by a breakdown in the old Forum software to initiate these new Forum System. The old Forum will be "live" for a little while yet, though you will have to re-register to post on it: Why not register now and make all your posts on these new pages? The old forum will be archived in a short while so new posts will not be posssible but it will be available to be read and studied to your hearts' content. We will try to contact as many of the original Forumists as possible to let you know what the situation is.
We are sorry for any inconvenience but hope you will soon be joining us once more.So, while we have had a "little local difficulty" we can assure you that  "there is light at the end of the tunnel".... and it is not just an oncoming train!

Thank you for all your support in the past, and a Warm Welcome to the NEW SRGC Forum!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:29:26 PM by admin »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Calling Forumists, old and new: Please Register for the New Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:18:18 PM »
Hi Maggi and everyone,  takes a bit of getting used to with all the bells and whistles (what on earth is "Marquee" 6th button on top row) but this will at least tell me if I have done anything right so far. ??? ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 07:57:36 PM »
God, Maggie, this is as bad as being at work :'(
As the other posters as have said so far, come next week we will start getting used to the improvements.
Bets wishers and thanks to all the Moderators, God bless them.
 :)
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
Hi Maggi and everyone,  takes a bit of getting used to with all the bells and whistles (what on earth is "Marquee" 6th button on top row) but this will at least tell me if I have done anything right so far. ??? ???

It’s a gimmick you can ignore

In fact it’s a bit annoying

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »
oooh it's lovely in here. Can I gripe?! I hate nick names. sorry!

ahhh it's a rolling marquee
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:35:56 PM »
Oh dear, I'm sorry.  I replied to the wrong forum. Totally off topic.  It is a bit frightening to realise the amount of time I have been logged in.   I'm not sure that's a good idea having it in full view! I shall justify it by blaming it on slow dial-up.

Susan.
Sunny Dunedin, New Zealand.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 09:34:30 PM »
Can we get a British calendar? :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 10:05:44 PM »
Can we get a British calendar? :(

I think that's all the American stuff removed.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 10:26:06 PM »
Mark, I have just posted this onthe admin page: Hi, Folks! We're delighted that you are all making the effort to join or re-join the SRGC Forumists.
It seems that since the new set up only shows your "username" whereas the old system showed both that and your "actual" name that it would be a good idea if those of you with more quirky user names would go into your profiles and add your "actual" name and location as a courtesy to readers: for instance, your username might be Piglet, but most of us would hesitate to address you as such:   so add a "signature" to your profile, to let us know that you are, in fact,  Abigail Anderson from Anstruther in Fife, East Scotland.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered what the blazes a marquee button was for. It's just a big tent to me, so I would never have worked that out by myself and I've asked Fred forty thousand questions today already.....so now you know where his ID image comes from! Actually, I learned that an ID image, be it a graphic or a photo, is called an "avatar"...go figure... and to think I gave up Gaelic and Russian because it was too pesky! Ho, Hum!! Happy Days!

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:13:50 PM »
Here's some more 'Americanism' !!!! Greetings Ian & Maggie and everyone at the SRGC from the Kentuckians.
Good luck with the new forum....may it be even more successful than the old one.
We just moved into our new 'garden' in Berea, (if anyone wants the address, send us a personal e-mail to thealpinegarden@mac.com), so wish us luck with our new plantings. Can't even begin to imagine what alpines will grow here but we're going to have great fun trying.
Love to everyone
Alan & Sherba
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, Mr and Mrs Grainger ! ("alpines")  I can assure you that many things American are more than welcome here! May I wish you health and much happiness in your new home. Hope we'll get the odd photo of your progress on these pages to inspire us and make you seem closer in miles! Fondest best wishes from us all!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 04:06:28 AM »
I HATE the new Forum. I hate the gimmicks, the nicknames and the moving stuff. Sorry but I'm getting too old for all that. Hate the fact that I'm not getting posts as emails any more. Have to go to favourites then Forum then log in etc. Much easier before. Also, can't find where to start a new thread so I probably will back away now. Pity, it was good fun before.

That was on the 15th, see how many posts Lesley has made since then!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:05:15 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:07:51 AM »
Lesley it will be like driving a new car until you get used to the feel of the brake and clutch
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »
To LCOX : Is that you, Lesley? You are being a grump today! Take a minute, look around, enjoy!

The reason that theseNICKNAMES appear so prevalent is that now your username is the only one displayed  (unless you enter a name/location strip to the end of your profile). Previously, each post showed your actual name as well as your username, so it was clearer who everybody was.  I have already suggested that we all add a signature line,  i.e. Margaret Young, Aberdeen, North East Scotland, and this is easily done by entering one's own profile.
There was plenty "MOVING STUFF"  on the old pages, you,know, they just moved without you making them,do it, so they were less obvious !
As to EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS, although the method is slightly different the same result can still be acheived.
Emails to you of posts can be activated by the "Notification" button at the top of each page.
If you look at the buttons at the top of each board (when opened)  there is a notify button. Click that and you will be notified of all posts to topics on  the board. You can also do it with individual topics.
there is also a button giving option to send replies to any post you make, even if you haven't already activated that page for email notices: it is an option given under "additional options", below the message text box.
To START A NEW THREAD: From the Title page of any given subject, e.g. Flowers and Foliage Now, there is, to the right of the Notify button, a NEW TOPIC button: click it and you can start a new page.

As the number of posts to the new pages increase, you will see that each thread is divided into sub-pages; this means that you will be able to either start reading a thread from the beginning, or, if you just want to seethe latest posts, you click on the highest page number shown in the subject box. For instance, you are in the home page of the forum... you click to Flowers and Foliage Now,you can see the different threads listed...you will also see that November 2006 has three pages listed, to view the latest, click the "3".. and there you go. Or you can click the highlighte last post note in the right hand column to go straight there. How  handy is that? On both the home page of the forum and on each subject page there is a note telling when a post was last made and who made it. Lots of people who didn't like lots of emails coming through will appreciate that feature since it is so easy to see where any new stuff can be found. Also instead of new threads being added at the bottom of a long list, the last thread posted to in each subject goes to the top of the pile, so to speak, so it is easier to find the most topical threads.

I know that lots of us, me included, prefer not to have to fiddle with new "stuff" on our computers and that is one reason why we stuck with the old Forum format for so long... the adage of " it ain't, broke so don't fix it" was very much in play. But now the old system has failed us, so we are embracing the opportunity to move forward. I am learning about the new set up just as the rest of you are... I am finding my way around pretty well and I am confident that we will all be using it just as happily as the old sytem very soon. There were quite a few folks who found the old system very tricky, that's for sure!

Anyhow, Lesley, we certainly don't want you or anyone else, "backing off"... you are a valued member of the Gang and, with us all starting from  scratch on our post rating numbers, think of all the new cakes that will need to be baked in the coming months!!
Please stick with us!  I think Mark's analogy is correct, though I myself am one of the last pedestrians! Can't drive a car, though I can drive a carriage with four in hand (horses).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:21:11 AM by Maggi Young »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 08:48:48 AM »

Actually, I learned that an ID image, be it a graphic or a photo, is called an "avatar"...go figure... and to think I gave up Gaelic and Russian because it was too pesky! Ho, Hum!! Happy Days!
[/quote]

Hi Maggi,
Thorough research has led me to believe that "Avatars" are neighbours of the "Klingons"
 :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal