We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New beginnings...a rock garden in the Alps  (Read 19370 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: New beginnings...a rock garden in the Alps
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
Wow Robin, :o :o :o now you have really put it in perspective with those shots.  It is so steep, I think crampons must be the only way to keep your footing, unless you cheat ofcourse and plant if from the steps side. No problems with drainage anyway.  Oh and I can't remember which Campanula picture 09 is but beware its a thug.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
From the top of the new terrace the rock garden follows the steps to the slope and changes with the seasons now and in the Spring a couple of years ago.

From another angle I can see crevices waiting to be filled with plants in the wall, facing east, but already those from the raised bed are beginning to get a foothold and create a tapestry.

The slope is left wild so from late spring to summer there is a meadow full of flowers for butterflies and bees.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:16:29 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »
Shelagh, thanks to your interest I have taken the plunge to show the landscape of my Alpine patch - it was so hard to choose photos from different years but this morning I thought that's it, warts and all!

Thanks for your comment about the campanula will watch it but do love the colour and leaf

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »
All around the chalet there are opportunities for planting but the aspects take some consideration.  Here I would like to create a spring bulb bed and have already planted some given to me by Tonyg.....do hope they will appear and tell me they are happy.....now the building has been extended it casts more shadow here and the trees (not my choice) dry the soil but somehow wild violets manage to grow in between their roots!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
Your garden is progressing very well, Robin.  I do not envy you your precipitous work area but there is the great benefit of fierce drainage that's for sure!
I also think that the grassy slope is just gorgeous in its "meadow" phase...... a true delight for you and for the wildlife.

Up there I would not worry too much about plants becoming a nuisance.... I think the mountain situation will keep most things in check. Fingers crossed, eh?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
What a wonderful prospect, watching this fledgling mountain slope take shape and colour and form under the intuitive and developing skills of an alpine addict ... we anticipate months and years of reports and images ...   :D   No ski lifts please, Robin!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
At the back of the chalet a steep slope goes up to the neighbours wall....a wonderful stand of ferns grows here each year and I have planted small daffodils to see from the chalet windows in the Spring....this slope is damp even in mid summer with water running down from the mountain and I hope to plant Primula and more ferns.

Under the pine tree I would like to grow Cyclamen and have had some thoughts in the Cyclamen thread inspired by what I have seen.

Further down this slope it is rocky and shady but lots of wild campanula and scabious grow here naturally amongst grasses and silene  - as it descends I plan to create a shady rockery.

Down the front steps my little patch of England with a lavender walk interplanted with Muscari and Chinodoxia for the first signs of Spring when the snow melts in March.

Just by the blue fir I recently planted a beautiful rose I have not grown before - it is Ghislaine De Feiigonde, a historic climbing rose (apricot colour) that I hope will enjoy sun and part shade in the afternoon...it's scented (the Swiss don't go for scented roses - I thought that was the main delight?)  I shall have to protect it until it's established and maybe next year will plant a clematis beside it.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:51:17 PM by Ragged Robin »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Cliff, thanks for your response - i definitely am an addict and the whole concept of developing this alpine garden is an enormous challenge but I do feel I am at last finding my way with all the help and advice from Forum Members - no ski lifts, I promise!  55 steps to carry anything up to the chalet including wood!

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »
It does seem unlike me that I haven't made more headway in the garden here but I do have a reasonable excuse!

Since 2005 we have added a new extension and this is what the garden looked like then - working on a the mountain slope requires great skill and dexterity and where there is a will there is a way!

The rocks were enormous, rock hard soil impacted needed a pneumatic drill, everything is brought in by lorries with a difference or helicopter (you can see one above the cement pipe arm)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 03:03:54 PM »
55 steps to carry anything up to the chalet including wood!

Hmmm.... not much wonder a helicopter was needed! Not the sort of thing one can achieve as a "Do-it -yourself" project is it?

I'll need to get into (much)  better shape before I can get up those steps for tea on the terrace, Robin  :-[  ......I see now the secret of your sevelte appearance!  8)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
All went well until the Spring the following year we had a leak and in the new part...everything had to dug out by hand at the back.....all went well...the following year we had another leak at the side....everything had to be dug out by hand.....the mountain water is notorious for springing up unannounced but these were fundamental errors with pipe work...

However, now it seems all is solved and we look forward to a leak-proof Spring next year after the snow melt, so my new Alpine Garden can really begin  ;D

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Maggi, would love to give you tea on the terrace...it's worth the climb for the view!

PS Just saw you earlier comment whilst I was posting, thanks for all your support, Maggi...... my Polo shirt is being sent here as I write and I will adorn it for the next phase!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:41:46 PM by Ragged Robin »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »
Robin,
Can I join for tea on the terrace ???

What a wonderful start you've made to what will undoubtedly be a fantastic rock garden !!  :o :o
Mind you, you do have advantages over us "flatlanders"   ;D - we have to move half of the garden to have some differences in height... and buying rock costs an arm and a leg :-\  These are not problems you are faced with I guess  :P
You've shown that it causes other problems though...  ::)
Your slope opens lots of possibilities and I'm green with envy for it.... not for the 55 steps though...  ::)

Anyway, as everybody else on this forum I applaud your efforts end growing skills !  I'm sure there will be many more splendid pix shown here...  8)

Thanks for showing !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »
Anytime Luc, this tea party is growing!  Thanks so much for your lovely comments and interest - one thing is certain, the support of the Forum Members has definitely spurred me on!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »
There are two main remits for the SRGC website .....one: to disseminate information about and encourage interest in rock garden and alpine plants and ,
two:  to provide a place for members  (...new. old and potential!) to exchange views and communicate generally about their plant interests (thus providing a "virtual"  Local Group of members where anyone around the world can feel fully a part of the Club).

I rather think that Robin  is proving the point of those remits very well, don't you?  8) ::) ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal