We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New beginnings...a rock garden in the Alps  (Read 19369 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: New beginnings...a rock garden in the Alps
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
Tulipa tarda in the rockery has been wonderful this year opening and closing to reveal their sunlight yellow centre;  a lovely star shape ‘though they seem to have gone over quicker this year. Now it's the turn of the Saxifraga and Phlox, Euphorbia and Sedum to rise from the rockery in cushions and mounds and for Fritillaria meleagris to hold it's snakesheads aloft.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
First late, real Spring rain has brought out the green in the grasses and a mini meadow of Narcissus poeticus has come up on the terrace below – the perfume is fantastic and hopefully they will spread to give the impression of the wild alpine slopes they cover above Montreux in years to come

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
So much has happened in this short space of early Spring and there is so much more to come that I will have to imagine…. and now I look at the seeds that have germinated (collected Forumists) and I wonder whether to try and tide them over in a damp spot with morning sun behind the chalet but cannot bear the thought that they may not survive – so there’s the dilemma…what to do for the best?

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
So much has happened in this short space of early Spring and there is so much more to come that I will have to imagine…. and now I look at the seeds that have germinated (collected Forumists) and I wonder whether to try and tide them over in a damp spot with morning sun behind the chalet but cannot bear the thought that they may not survive – so there’s the dilemma…what to do for the best?

great to see the lovely spring flowers starting to spread :)

do you have any way to cover those seed pots while you are away? a sheet of glass or plastic over top, something to enclose sides like a plastic bin or even cardboard box .. or individual plastic baggies with one or two pots in each..almost all of my outdoor pots are enclosed, no way i could be sure of keeping them moist otherwise; some i have opened, but they still dry much more slowly than if fully exposed...

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
Cohan, thanks for your extensive advice that I will try next time - some of the seeds are in a sheltered spot that's shady and moist and I hope will catch any rain - someone is going to check and water occasionally if it is very dry - but in the end I took the most forward seedlings with me so they are well travelled but happy being looked after and watched daily.  I also sowed some of the seed in the rockery and about the place so I have spread the chances of survival of the fittest  :)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Great to see so many flowers!  The Tulipa tarda are superb, the exposure keeps them nice and compact.  Always a treat to see Narcissus poeticus, my favourite bulbous plant. ( :o)  Our dry soil does not suit it :( 

It sounds like you have things under control with the seedlings, shady and getting the rain will give them the best chance.  Sowing some seed direct is a good insurance policy.  I have been known to take plants with me to Wales (before we had the girls), crocus mostly, not wanting to miss the fleeting flowers.  Taking seedlings ... and so far ... is a new level of dedication :) Mind you folk used to think I was slightly mad  ;) 

Hope you have a good time on your travels.  We're off to test the tent tomorrow night ..... still a bit chillly so we'll be packing hot water bottle and extra layers and leaving the plants behind this time :D

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Thanks for your encouragement Tony....Spring was so slow to arrive this year and the rockery was only really just beginning to revive which is why i'm so pleased with the early flowering bulbs bringing a smile to the garden.  It still looks so bare to me but there are quite a few plants establishing themselves inbetween the rocks and I hope to add more to those that survived so they eventually form a tapestry  :D  Have a good holiday camping - you are keen!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2010, 11:38:22 PM »
Robin, your garden is coming along so well and with all those seedlings it will be getting filled up really quickly.  It looks like most of your plants are settling in very well.... well, in a setting like that, they should do , shouldn't they? ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »
So pleased you had time to have a look Maggi and 'yes' I'm really pleased to have germinated some wild Alpine seedlings - I just hope they grow on to hold their own in the Rockery - at that point i will be looking for advice from the experts  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal