We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Deviant Valerian #2  (Read 1026 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Deviant Valerian #2
« on: July 24, 2009, 09:02:20 AM »

This one is from last year. My Valeriana officinalis started producing cauliflower in one of the inflorescences (very useful, I thought as slugs don’t like Valerian)  ;)

So, what causes it: a form of fasciation or perhaps a Gall? If the latter I guess this should be moved to the Wildlife thread...

This year, the same plant has a flowering stem which is completely flattened (fasciation?).

Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Deviant Valerian #2
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »
.....stranger and stranger..... :o
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Deviant Valerian #2
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
I have a delphinium on which the flower stalks have always been fasciated for the last few years... but this year, it doesn't seem to be.  I'm not sure which is odder... that it was repeatedly, or that it isn't anymore!
Another delphinium from the same bed that is slightly odd (maybe it's something in our water  ;)) - seedpods are forming in the flowers at the base, while normal-looking bees are still present in the flowers at the top.

Edit:  Actually, as  I look at other ones, this doesn't seem to be unusual at all... I guess either I just didn't notice or didn't remember!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:14:15 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal