We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Arctic-Alpine Botanic Garden in Tromsø - again....  (Read 9131 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
The Arctic-Alpine Botanic Garden in Tromsø - again....
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
I suspect that nobody will object to even more pictures from the renowned Arctic-alpine Botanic Garden in Tromsø?

A bit late, I know, but on June 4th I spent the day in the garden followed by a short visit to Bjørn Thon who runs Skavberget nursery on nearby Kvaløy and Ivar Johnsen of Asphaugen plants, who also lives on Kvaløy (Whale Island). Both Bjørn and Ivar produce plants for the botanics and have trialled many thousands of plants over the years, many from New Zealand, South America and even Africa. Many have survived and thrive as we can see on our visit to the gardens. Bjørn in particular is legendary in Northern Norway and has several plant collecting exhibitions behind him in South America.

For me, a trip to Tromsø is almost as long a trip as to the UK – see map below (I live in Malvik near to the city of Trondheim, also marked on the map). For me, the main aim of the trip was to see and get samples (with permission!) from the collection of Alliums at the botanics, and in particular the collection of Allium victorialis from various parts of the world, as part of a planned national Allium collection, mainly tradional varieties of Allium used for food.  Afterwards I visited the Lofoten Islands where on the island of Vestvågøy there are large naturalised populations of Allium victorialis (more of which another time). I also managed a lightening visit to Magnar’s fantastic garden in Harstad.

1. Map
2. Allium victorialis in the Botanics
3. Harvesting Allium victorialis on Vestvågøy
4+5.When I visited Bjørn Thon the first time 5 years ago, I had my biggest garden surprise ever when I saw that he had a Monkey Puzzle in his garden, admittedly only 10 cm or so high after 10 years. However,  the last 5 years it has really begun to shoot upwards as you can see here and longer covered completely by snow in winter.
6. The botanics are only a few hundred metres further north and they last year also planted a Monkey Puzzle which has come through the long Tromsø winter without damage. Here is the garden’s leader Arve Elvebakk proudly showing off the new northernmost Araucaria in the world! It was apparently Arve himself who originally bought the nuts which became Bjørn’s plant in the market at Puerto Montt in Chile (the nuts are edible).
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Re: The Arctic-Alpine Botanic Garden in Tromsø - again....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
Now, some plant pictures in no special order. Arve Elvebakk kindly showed me some of his favourites in the collections from New Zealand , South America and Africa, some of which are shown in the following

1. Sideritis syriaca: I’ve written about this one under the My Edible Alpines thread; one of the most popular herbal tea plants in Greece, harvested (mostly) from the wild by shepherds in the mountains, surprisingly never seen in herb gardens.
2. Pulsatilla lutea
3. Ranunculus insignis
4. Aciphylla subflabellata – one of maybe 10-15 different Aciphyllas (from New Zealand) growing in the garden
5. Oxalis enneaphylla
6. Tristagma nivale
7. Nothofagus Antarctica
8. Ourisia ruelloides
9. Psychophrila (Caltha) sagittata
10. Prostanthera cuneata

Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
I don't hear any protests, so here's a few more:

1. Gentiana brachyphylla
2. Allium humile ?
3. Claytonia megarhiza
4. Rheum delavayi
5. Lewisias
6. Gentiana divisa
7. Oxalis loricata
8. Oxalis?
9. Aloinopsis spathulata
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
We can never see enough of this place, Stephen : You will hear only murmurs of pleasure!

I cannot remember if this was mentioned previously.... Arne won the SRGC prizes last year for both the  Crosland Award for the best article in the journal, for his piece about the botanic garden in the January 2008 issue of "The Rock Garden" and also the David Lane Award for the best photograph, for his photo of Swertia kingii , also in that issue.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
We can never see enough of this place, Stephen : You will hear only murmurs of pleasure!

I cannot remember if this was mentioned previously.... Arne won the SRGC prizes last year for both the  Crosland Award for the best article in the journal, for his piece about the botanic garden in the January 2008 issue of "The Rock Garden" and also the David Lane Award for the best photograph, for his photo of Swertia kingii , also in that issue.  8)

The murmurs are echoing from the Alps too...... what a fantastic trip Stephen, thanks so much for all the photos of plants being nurtured and grown there together with your interesting introduction - an expedition indeed.!  If I had to choose a favorite plant from your postings it would be Oxalis loricata, for its fabulous leaf, and the fascinating Tristagma nivale.

The setting looks wild and wonderful and the colour form of the rocks makes a perfect backdrop for these special plants.  :) Norway is such a wonderful country.

Maggi, is there a link which shows Arne's article and his photo?  He is obviously a budding genius  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:40:46 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
Robin, I will send you a copy of the article.
Arne took over as Director of the Gardens when Finn Haugli, another famed Norwegian grower, retired.  I tell you these are all very talented people! Not to mention charming, which is always a plus, isn't it!

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »
It certainly is...I look forward to the article, thanks Maggi  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Onion

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »
Stephen,

wonderful pictures. I'm speechless to see Nothofagus antarctica in this way, as groundcover plant. The foliage of the Oxalis are wonderful.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »

I had read that, but had forgotten - must dig out the article again!

Finn Haugli also turned up briefly, so I met him for the first time too...

A few more pictures to come later!
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
Finn has also just been to Lofoten, Stephen.... but for a music festival!!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 12:22:12 AM »
Stephen,

wonderful pictures. I'm speechless to see Nothofagus antarctica in this way, as groundcover plant.

Uli  - I was surprised to see it in Tromsø as well.  It was distributed here for awhile back 30 years ago as N. antarctica but later we found out it was var. prostrata.  My biggest shock was to see a beautiful Nothofagus antarctica pollarded to great effect in Denmark.

Tromsø = heaven on earth. Would that make Finn Haugli St. Peter or Gabriel?

johnw
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:31:54 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Onion

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »
John,

is it possible that a species of the Fagaceae is only a male or female species? Never heared this before, sound very interesting.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Finn has also just been to Lofoten, Stephen.... but for a music festival!!

Must be the Lofoten "Rock" Festival... ;)
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
John,

is it possible that a species of the Fagaceae is only a male or female species? Never heared this before, sound very interesting.

Uli - I can only tell you that Nothofagus antarctica when grown here in isolation produces no viable seed, at least after 20 years.  When grown with other strains we get good seed but never very many; so I can only assume it is not self-fertile.

Still trying to find seed of Nothofagus pumilio.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:38:15 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »
Very interesting indeed Stephen, thanks for posting.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal