We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hail-storm  (Read 3349 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Hail-storm
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:42 AM »
wow! your first hail storm! hopefully you wont see another anytime soon....
like lori, we can have it here anytime in summer...last year i had a lot of minor damage to some shrub leaves etc--the non-native honeysuckle was prone to damage, the natives dont notice--this year we had some very early before there were many leaves, and not much since..

hope your plants are recovering fast..

Alberto

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »
wow! your first hail storm! hopefully you wont see another anytime soon....

It was not the first, but the worst I had.

Alberto

North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06:31 AM »
Hello Alberto !
It's a dreadful experience isn't it   :( - I had the same 4 or 5 years ago - 15 cm of pingpong sized ice balls on the ground after the storm was over - a lot of plant leaves turned into mush...  it was devastating just to have to look at it with nothing you can do...  but don't despair - everything will recover !
Just give it some time.  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 11:46:46 PM »
Dear Alberto,
I am so sorry for that. O.k. everything will grow again but on the walk through the garden after the hailstorm I would have tears in the eyes. It takes so much time until the leaves of some plants are really big and five minutes to damage them - but as someone said, the Habranthus looks like Phoenix from the ashes.
Best wishes,
Renate

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
Hail is never a good thing, anywhere!  
This area is called "Hail Alley", for the frequent hail we get, caused by proximity to the mountains and associated air turbulence, with some tendency of air to be swept upwards repeatedly into freezing temperatures... ?  
We had a huge hail storm in early July, 1998.  Hailstones up to the size of golf balls were bouncing off our poly greenhouse, and hitting the side of our house, 35 feet away!  Everything in the yard, needless to say, was pureed.  The storm sewers couldn't handle the rain, and were also soon blocked with hail... despite that our neighborhood is up on a hill, a car got stuck in the water standing on our front street, which has only a very slight, normally imperceptible dip in it.  A few blocks away, in a major intersection in a shopping center area, the hail and water were 4' deep and blocking the intersection; the city had to get big equipment out to plow out the hail out so that the water could eventually drain, after the storm sewers thawed; it took a few days for the bulldozed piles of hail to melt away.  About half the houses in our neighborhood (including ours) ended up needing new roofing and siding as a result of the hail damage.  Luckily, the drainage here is such that we didn't get any water in our basement, but some neighbors were not so lucky.  Anyway, the insured property damage from the storm ended up at $60 MM!  (There was another major hailstorm in 1996, with $300 MM in damages!  We were spared that one, as it pummelled the neighborhoods south of us.)
It's funny... growing up on the prairies (far from the mountains, where the weather is a great deal more predictable!), farmers dreaded the "Big White Combine" (hail)... but I only ever saw one real hailstorm there - just pea-sized, with small drifts left for a few hours, and no significant damage.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:58:28 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 04:10:30 AM »
Hail is never a good thing, anywhere!  
This area is called "Hail Alley", for the frequent hail we get, caused by proximity to the mountains and associated air turbulence, with some tendency of air to be swept upwards repeatedly into freezing temperatures... ?  
We had a huge hail storm in early July, 1998.  
Hi Lori,
the one time I visited Calgary was after the NARGS July 1999 Conference at Banff; as we drove into Calgary to do some "post conference garden visits" we could see the hail clouds sweep through ahead of us! One garden we visited had virtually everything destroyed except one plant of Meconopsis punicea which was displaying its wonderful red drooping flowers. How and why had it survived? Only because the owner stood out in the middle of the storm sheltering it with an umbrella - while getting pelted with hail herself!! Yes, Rock and Alpine Gardeners are crazy but they have something to show their visitors!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal