We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulbs Wanted / Nomocharis  (Read 2983 times)

jes

Bulbs Wanted / Nomocharis
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »
Hi all

I'm looking for seed or bulbs of Nomocharis of any sort. Knowing next to nothing about them except that the look just amazing any cultivation details would also be appreciated

Smile
Jes / Denmark
Copenhagen - Denmark

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bulbs Wanted / Nomocharis
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
Hello, Jes, wlecome to the forum.

In Scotland, Nomocharis like a fairly moist, rich spot to grow in, with some sun.  For Denmark, I am not too sure! IO hope some Scandanavian Forumists might give you some advice.....  :D
To find about growing Nomocharis, and other bulbs, as we do it in Aberdeen, Scotland, try reading Ian Young's Weekly Bulb Log Diary: http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb (for 2009 entries) and
 http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/bulblog.html   (for the archived entries from 2003 to 2008)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
You might be able to buy Nomocharis from some of the UK nurseries. Our president lists at least one and Paul Christian's rare plants usually does. There are more suppliers. Try to google RHS plant finder.   They do not like moving very much and will sulk the first year so seed is an option. It will set you back some four years. The SRGC seed list is a possible source and so is the RHS lily group seed list. A friendly forumist might have some seed to spare. Mail me end of August privately. I might have some surplus then.
I think that in Denmark you should aim at avoiding too much sun. Otherwise I agree with Maggie.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:14:47 AM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

jes

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
thanks goto
I will mail you in the end of august

;-)
Jes
Copenhagen - Denmark

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »
Jes,

Welcome to the forums, and Good luck with sourcing the Nomocharis.  Depending on your climate, and your level of expertise, sometimes it is better to grow these from seed rather than bring in a bulb of it.  I always find I lose the bulbs if I buy them (just checked my pots recently only to discover that the bulb I bought last year has gone to the great garden in the sky  ::)) so I really must grow them from seed myself one of these days.  It just means that they're used to your garden from the very beginning.  There's lots of people here who'll help you with instructions etc on how to grow them from seed if you need help.

Again, welcome to our merry meeting place.  Hopefully we'll see you around regularly. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

jes

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:53:16 PM »
Hi Paul T
Thank too you, and I will bee ther ;-)
Copenhagen - Denmark

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »
Hi jes, I am happy to send you some seed but this is not ready yet, another month or so, please remind me. We sow the seed in pots around New Year a good well drained mixture on the top half of the pot and normal compost lower down. I cover the seed with chippings then tie a piece of fleece over the top of the pot this keeps out voles who will eat all the seed then when germination starts in Feb/march do not disturb the seedlings just pull up the fleece to allow growth this keeps out slugs etc, perhaps a half strength liquid feed, then in year two plant out the pot full of seedlings in a nursery area without disturbing them by year three separate the seedlings when starting to grow just line them out in a box or nursery area again liquid feed them some will flower the next year, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

jes

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
Hi  ichristie

Thanks for your advice ;-)
I will mail you in the end of august ( is that ok ? )

Smile from jes / denmark
Copenhagen - Denmark

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal