We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plants flowering in the open rock garden.June '09  (Read 26412 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Plants flowering in the open rock garden.June '09
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2009, 04:37:28 AM »
1) Astragalus angustifolius
8) Interesting seedpods on Astragalus purshii var. lectulus

these two are especially nice---love the white flowers, and seedpods..

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2009, 05:41:04 AM »
Thanks, Cohan.

I guess this is about all I will get this year from Silene kantzeensis... it bloomed more heavily last year.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
I guess this is about all I will get this year from Silene kantzeensis... it bloomed more heavily last year.

i guess in theory we hope to keep garden conditions more consistent from year to year than they are in the wild, but weather must still affect performance...
the difference in wildflowers from year to year is striking, and not always what you'd first think: this year being so much drier than the last couple, some plants are much smaller and less floriferous, others still have a lot of flowers, but the plants overall are thinner or smaller; other plants (esp woodland plants) here are much more vigorous and floriferous this year--i'm guessing because of heavy and late snowfall, which both watered the forest well, and kept plants protected from winter spring drying...

and of course your silene may have completely unrelated reasons for not flowering as much this year ;)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
...but each little  :)flower is perfectly shown against the mat of foliage, Lori
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Such a nice little plant, a sort of raggedly version of Silene acaulis. :) Quite new to me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal