We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primulas down South 2009  (Read 5867 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Primulas down South 2009
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
Howdy All,

The first Primula of the season is flowering for me now.... and it is an auricula.  This one is a seedling, the only one to survive of the 3 that germinated from sowings last year or the year before (the only time I have ever tried them).  Not good odds at all unfortunately.  Still, this is my first ever auricula grown from seed to flowering.  Not exactly a show winning flower I would imagine, but I'm pretty chuffed.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

maggiepie

Re: Primulas down South 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
Paul, I would be pretty chuffed too, if you only managed to get one to flowering, at least you got a nice colour.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
Paul, I would be pretty chuffed too, if you only managed to get one to flowering, at least you got a nice colour.
Yes, and a good size to the flower too, it seems.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
Helen,

I rather like the colour, although unless it was completely butt ugly I doubt I would hate it anyway, as it is my first to flower.  ;)

Maggi,

Sort of "standard size" I would have thought.  Very short stem, but more buds awaiting opening on the same stem.  I love the meal in the centre.

Thanks for the responses.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:12:04 PM »
Nice Paul. Was it, by any chance, from seed I sent you?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:45:58 PM »
David,

Unfortunately no.  I had no germination from the 'Blue Wave" seed that you sent me, and little germination from the 4 little packets of seed that Anne Reid sent me at the same time.  Only 3 seedlings in total, and only one has survived to flowering.  That was what I was meaning by a there not being good odds.  Must work on my Primula germination results.  Would love to try more auriculas from seed, but I fear it would be a death sentence to the poor seed. :'(  I feel like a bad father or something.  :'( :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:49:31 AM »
This is how I sow my Primula and Cyclamen seed - at the bottom of a shallow hole in the compost. This way the seedlings can root quickly and still get the benefit of light and fresh air. I also soak the seeds for five days prior to sowing, changing the water regularly.

---|o|---|o|---|o|---|o|---
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
Rogan,

I can understand the soaking with the Cyclamen seed, but most Primula seed I've experienced was so fine that it would have been impossible to soak and change water?  How do you manage it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »
Sorry Paul, I should have made it clearer - here I'm talking about Polyanthus seed which, I suppose, is larger than most other varieties. The only other species that I've grown are P. malacoides, P.japonica, P. denticulata and P. obconica. So you can see my experience is very limited indeed!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
Rogan,

I've never grown any of those from seed, so you're ahead of me there.  I've grown a few other species though, and some of the seed is very fine, which is why I was surprised.  ;D  I must get out and hand pollinate the Primula veris flowering  at the moment.  I'm trying to establish a breeding colony of them here because so many of us here in Aus that have them all have plants divided out from a single original we bought somewhere or other.  Few of us actually have both sexes (pin and thrum) to get seedset.  I managed to get two of the different sexes by carefully checking friends plants and managing to get one of the type I didn't have.  I now have a bunch of seedlings with variability between them so that seed can set.  I want to at some stage get them established in my garden or some friends place, so that they can become a self perpetuating colony like happens in Europe etc.  Fingers crossed.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
I guess we have it easy, here, Paul and Rogan.
My back lawn (selective weedkillers don't touch them!!)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
Selective weedkillers - are you trying to get rid of the grass!!   ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
Well Heavens Giles! WHAT selective weedkiller?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
Five primula pics, plants in flower now. First, would Giles or someone please give me a name for this little plant which is only 5-6cms high. It was grown from seed which came as yargongensis.I hope there is enough foliage visible to be worthwhile. (Actually 2 pics, the second a bit blurry but more foliage.)
171213-0

171215-1

Primula daonensis grown from Pilous seed
171217-2

This little group are the offspring of a white seedling from the white 'Linda Pope' and I had hoped for some whites in this 3rd generation but not one. I may grow them on and get seed from them and try that. Though nice they're not worth naming or propagating especially, though I like the blue in the front row, a little deeper than in the picture.
171219-3

171221-4
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 11:39:19 AM »
How about P.modesta var fauriae ? (it's only a guess).

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal