We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Adelboden region, Switzerland.  (Read 6753 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Adelboden region, Switzerland.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »
Ranunculus aconitifolius was plentiful and common in the high meadows.  Dwarfed by exposure it can be just a few inches high but in lush conditions it luxuriates to make a spectacular display.
In the afternoon of day two I passed through Hahnenmoos and set off up towards a lookout point behind Mechstand.  What you cannot see in the 'another view from the room' shot is the thousands of Pulsatilla alpina and Anemone narcissiflora on the green ridges in the foreground.
Crocus vernus ssp albiflorus was found by a couple of late snow patches - leaves from earlier flowering crocus were everywhere.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »
Anemone narcissiflora was in photogenic good form.  It is difficult to convey the effect of the massed display :)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »
Pulsatilla alpina grows in huge colonies up here.  At first they were exclusively white but I soon found the occasional pale yellow one.... more later on this.
The circular walk took me behind Mechstand with fantastic views from a small saddle both back towards Adelboden and down into the upper Simmental.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Tony, I'm enjoying these immensely. Was it a Dad's 'escape' for a while or did the family go too?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
Another common plant in good form was Trollius europeaus which mingled beautifully with Anemone narcissiflora in one place.  
Dryas octopetala put in an appearance between rocks on a precipice - definately a good idea to lie flat to photograph this one.  I was accosted by a concerned Swiss couple during this walk, "I was going to ask if you were alright!" she said as I stood up after a particularly awkward shot. ;D
Arrived back at the Berghotel in time for tea at 630 .... by 631 the view had changed :o
Great timing :D

Thanks David - its was a Dad's escape.  No-one in their right mind does this for a long weekend with the kids!!!  We'll take  alonger family trip another year I hope :)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
Super shots, Tony ... and I think it is worth emphasising that all these images were captured during one three-day stint.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Thanks Cliff!
And there is still day three to come :)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
The treat continues Tony !!
Wonderful shots !
Look forward to day 3 !  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
Simply wonderful photos, Tony, with Alpine flowers and scenery wrapped in to one breathtaking scene.  Looking forward to '...and on the third day' of your photogenic creations  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
Day Three dawned grey, the remnants of overnight rain.  A slightly delayed start saw me heading South along the pass.  Climbing past the massed Pulsatillas and Anemone of the previous day, I rounded the base of Regenboldshorn.  As the clouds lifted the light played nicely on the flowers and foliage.
Anemone narcissiflora is beautiful in bud.
Soldanella alpina in two colour forms - they really were growing just a few inches apart, I did not pick the flowers for the comparison picture.
Salix reticulata caught the eye with its softly hairy new growth.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
I headed for the base of Ammertenspitz, initially a grassy ridge but progressing into more challenging terrain.  There is a path that goes up and over!
It was very windy here and there was a passing shower to add atmosphere to the occasion.  This ridge was perhaps the highlight of the whole trip.  Maybe it was enhanced by the less than perfect conditions but the sight of the massed pulsatillas was most exhilerating :)  Needless to say there were great views from here too.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
The variation in these Pulsatilla alpina was huge.  Both pure white and pure yellow were here, ssp alpina and ssp apiifolia and evident hybrids between the two.  I have never seen them intermingled like this before, perhaps others have experience of this to share?
Mostly in perfect condition they were infinitely photogenic.  Here is a small selection ;)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
I'm lost for words, your images are outstanding Tony, so exquisitely portrayed - a perfect third day to dream about with views that are endless.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »
Tony, I agree totally with Robin's words. Beautiful and outstanding pictures.
Amazing it must be to see so much variation Pulsatilla in one place.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 03:27:22 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o  The masses are amazing.  The Pulsatilla variance is glorious!!  Wow!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal