We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodophiala splendens  (Read 2365 times)

Alessandro.marinello

Rhodophiala splendens
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
New to bloom Rhodophiala splendens, Chile
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Rhodophiala splendens
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
Alessandro,

Does this species only produce 1 or 2 flowers per stem?  Yours looks very similar to an old "bifida" that I have which never produces more than 2 flowers on each stem, with the white stripe down the middle of the flower and a sort of orangey-red colour to it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »
Alessandro,

Does this species only produce 1 or 2 flowers per stem?  Yours looks very similar to an old "bifida" that I have which never produces more than 2 flowers on each stem, with the white stripe down the middle of the flower and a sort of orangey-red colour to it.

Hi Paul
the description is corresponded, task that your R. is not a R. bifida

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:27:30 AM »
Here for comparison two pictures of Rhodophiala splendens in its habitat in Central Chile.
It normaly has 2-4 (7) flowers on each stem. The plants on the pictures were interesting for the local botanist as they did not know this very small population.
Most famous is their site at Reserva Nacional Radal Siete Tazas, VII Region (where the flowers normally have no white points).
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:45 AM »
We had a bit of a discussion a while back when I posted pics of mine, but we never worked out exactly what it was.  Mine has 1 or 2 flowers per stem, I've never seen more than that.  The flower is oranger than Hans pic.  Not that a name really matters I guess.  I know it isn't bifida from the discussion that we had at the time, but was just interesting to see Alessandro's and note the similarities.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
How do you tell these things apart? Perhaps the fact that everything not R. bifida rapidly departs my collection (...to the great nursery in the sky) is diagnostic. However, I'd better eat my words as, for the first time ever, I've had some success with Placea ornata this year, which usually doesn't even germinate for me before departing this life - or maybe it isn't Placea but merely R. bifida in disguise. Perish the thought! This little biff of mine flowers regularly now that it has matured from Chiltern Seeds' seed (please ignore the busy background!):
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:31:48 PM »
I can say that  the features of R. splendens my bulbs are true .
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:51:29 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal