We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cremanthodium  (Read 7201 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: Cremanthodium
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
Centaurea flowers smell strongly of honey. Mine are not showing yet. Inula helenium grows at an Abbey near here. It is a long time since I went there. Inula is a very robust plant. I will see if I can find a slide of it.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
Inula helenium. One of the herbs used by monks. img. file 0001.

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »
Came across this thread just now - Wim did you have any success with your Cremanthodiums? I have a few seedlings and would welcome any advice (other than moving to the Arctic Circle)

Though moving to the Arctic Circle ( or the Himalayas) would indeed be one of the best solutions to grow Cremanthodiums ;) , their cultivation in less advantaged climates is still possible.
Most of them will appreciate a deep humus rich soil which never dries out ( or maybe during winter?...), but which also won't keep excessive water during the very wet spells. In summer this wouldn't be a problem at all, as long as the water can flow away when the rain stops.

What I know is that C.helianthus for example doesn't need much more moisture than necessary. It thrives well in a surelevated position in the rockbed, only providing enough watering when really needed. It even perished in places with soil driyng out slower.

C.arnicoides and C.nepalense seem to prefer that kind of environment, however with more watering ( for C.arnicoices, with these huge greedy leaves). C.arnicoides also died in soils remaining moist too long.

The other C. I have tried can grow in more moist soil-conditions: C.ellisii, C.pleurocaule (syn.Ligularia pleurocaulis), C.delavayi.

For C.rhodocephalum, I still have to find the right place ( if still possible). Obviously, it likes a moister place too, and didn't do well at all last summer, when we had that really warm weather for long weeks.
And there are the others I lost before having had the time to try different conditions.

All these but C.helianthus hate strong sunshine coupled with high temperatures, as the leaves get really soft at day. As long as this weather doesn't last too long or occurs too frequently, that's ok. Otherwise, one has to find a setting where there is some protection from the afternoon sun.

NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Tristan_He

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
Thanks Phillippe this is really helpful advice. Our westerly position and altitude means we rarely get temperatures above 25C, so with the right location and some extra water at the right time I am optimistic. My C. rhodocephalum seedlings from the SRGC seed are doing well, others are all quite small still.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal