We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron  (Read 5307 times)

charlotte

Rhododendron
« on: November 21, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »
Hope this photo will be ok.  It is one of my favourite - 'Chikor'

Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Rhododendron
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:21:43 AM »
Charlotte,

Nice plant!  Lovely colour for a Rhodo.  I grow a few here but am limited by space more than anything.  I do have a couple of smaller varieties, plus a few other larger ones where I can fit them.  I of course have Rhododendron 'Tyermanii' as it is a namesake, although I have never found out who that particular Tyerman was who named it.  That and the silver hares-foot fern (Davallia tyermannii) are the only two Tyermans I can find.  :D  The R. tyermanii has large ruffled flowers, loosely clustered on the head.  It also has the most wonderful bark that peals to expose soft, almost suede-like underneath.  I grow it as much for the bark as the flowers.  Aren't Rhododendrons great!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:14:29 AM »
Paul,
Thank you for your compliments on Rh. 'Chikor'  I am impressed - a Rhododendron - any plant for that matter - carrying your name. (Even if it is not your own family!)  And the description is such that I would like to receive seeds of it, if possible.  I agree with you regarding all attributes of a plant.  I have many rhodods which have not flowered but I enjoy the leaves, especially the annual growth.  They are all different.

The subject plant was removed from a raised bed as it was getting too large.  It seems to have settled down in its new location & is covered with buds for next Spring.  I will give a bit of protection for its first winter; my garden is subject to cold, dry winds which can cause more damage than frost.

It won't be long now (I am always the optimist!)!

Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:19:54 AM »
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would just add to this one.

I saw this Rhodo at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh this summer and was impressed with the new leaves.  Would anyone know what type of Rhodo this is and how hardy it might be?

Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 03:26:10 AM »
I'll try that again.  Still does anyone know what type of Rhodo this is and how hardy it might be?

Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:21:29 PM »
Hi, Rob. This looks like a good specimen of Rhododendron pachysanthum, one of my favourites for its great new shoots and leaves. The flowers are white with good spots and blots of raspberry , opening mid-march. It is very hardy, has been down to -19 for a couple of weeks or more here a few years ago.
It is from Taiwan and, with R. bureavii, has some of the finest foliage you'll see !!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:25:10 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 05:45:51 PM »
Rob I would agree with Maggi, I have it and it is tough as old boots. It is a bit diffucult to get hold of good forms though but well worth the effort just for the foliage alone. This is an unbelievable colour with indumentum top and botton with the wonderful colours persisting for a large part of the summer
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:58 PM »
Our R pachysanthum is looking wonderful this year.  Against all advice I moved it into full sun and it seems to be thriving, but our winter temperature only went down to a mere -6deg C

Another with lovely foliage is Rhododendron roxieanum.

Earlier we had the brilliant spring foliage of Rhododendron williamsianum, and the flower and a little foliage of Rhododendron yakushimanum.

Susan.

Dunedin, New Zealand

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 12:26:44 AM »
Wow!!  Some lovely new foliage there.  I love R. 'Kallista' for it's massive flowers (white, bell shaped rather than trumpet shaped) and pink furry new shoots.  Mine hasn't flowered for me as yet, but I am hopeful for next year if it survives this summer and the watering restrictions!! :-\
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 11:08:20 AM »
Autumn foliage of Rh. ledebourii.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 07:40:26 PM »
If one is considering rhododendron foliage,you have to put R campanulatum aeruginosum at the top of the list and  n or do you have to lift up the leaves to admire it This one is about 12yrs.old and has never flowered but who needs flowers ?Apparently the flowers are disappointing anyway.The hosta is fortunei aurea.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 05:35:11 PM »
Here's another one that is well worth its' place in the Winter garden.Rhododendron SICHOTENSE.
This one is only half open but I thought I would take a pic.in case it is spoilt by a damaging frost which we have so far avoided.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal