We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pests  (Read 4154 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Pests
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
At least you don't have bears yet, Göte ::) Ticks and mosquitos I can live with, midges on the other hand...
Oh I forgot the midges. They have not been severe the last few years but of course they are much worse than the moskitos..

The bears are returning and in the late seventeenth century Karl XI (not XII) was bearly killed by one in the neighbouring parish. I do not expect them to disturb my garden. I would expect them to shoo away the deers.

Cheers
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 08:17:01 AM »
The bears are returning and in the late seventeenth century Karl XI (not XII) was bearly killed by one in the neighbouring parish.

Cheers
Göte

A wonderful slip of the finger sir!  :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »
Kangaroos, Cockatoos and echidnas do a little, occasional damage but RED-LEGGED EARTH MITES!! Can devastate the winter and early spring flowers - especially my favourites!
I hate'em!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 09:16:59 AM »
Fermi,

Should I be treating anything I get from you for the Mites?  Just occured to me that there might be hitchihikers on the bulbs?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »
Yes Cliff.
Everybody is a better proof reader than I am  ;D
I wish I did it by purpose but B and N are of course adjacent keys
Cheers Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
I get all the usual annual weeds including goosegrass (cleavers). However there is always a downside to feeding birds (or more than one downside).  I get brambles appearing EVERYWHERE, and nettles, ground elder and bindweed. The only explanation  I can think of is bird s**t.  Mice/rats can be another problem but I cannot stop feeding the birds and many cats come through the garden (they are both a problem and a solution).

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 12:32:37 AM »
Heather,

We get privet everywhere for the same reason, but we don't feed the birds..... we have birdbaths etc for them, so they come to our garden for that.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Bird Baths are a constant source of amusement - blackbirds really enjoy a good shower  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »
Not strictly a garden pest but he can be a liability when I am gardening as he hops around getting under my feet and gardening tools, looking for grubs etc.  He eats off my hand for preference and shows absolute trust by standing on my hand back to me, surveying the garden. Here he is perched on stone beside me doing the same thing in spite of the big black camera a foot away, or so. 

(Sorry Maggi, big pics again. Is this a Photobucket thing and can I put it right myself?)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
There is something most endearing about a Robin.... such perky little birds.
I have no idea about photobucket and the sizes, Heather. We have had concerns with other posts using photobucket that the images have later dsappeared and that is why I made the suggestion to upload pix from your pc using the "attachthumb in square brackets" method.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 01:06:46 AM »
A beautiful little chap Heather. Such a privilege to have wild things trust so absolutely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »
I agree with Leslie and Maggi, Heather, you have captured a wonderful moment of your relationship with the Robin to share with us and the photo shows his/her (still confused from the original Robin discussion on this thread) character so well in the stance!  Happy gardening with this time-wasting pest  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal