We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South Western AGShow-Saturday 31 March  (Read 8119 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: South Western AGShow-Saturday 31 March
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 08:20:26 PM »
I found all the plants on show attractive and could have filled my car boot if no-one had been watching ;D My particular favourites were:-

on Post 1- picture 2 Tulipa clusiana var. chrysantha
                     "   5 Degenia  velebitica quite rare it seems-I had never heard of it (which means nothing of course)
                     "   9 The little Iris sari-just beautiful

on Post 2- picture 5 the pot of Iris attica-my right arm would be gladly given!
on Post 3- picture 3 the little Celmisia just looked as though it had been carefully made from string and card and spray painted in silver blue!
               picture 5-the Serapias neglecta-another I had never heard of before and was surprised when I found out that it was an Orchid (probably too expensive for me to kill then!)

Oh damn it. They were all nice.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:24:04 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »
David,

Many thanks, excellent photographs, enjoyed being able to visit the South Western show from my armchair.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
Hi David,
I'm groing a nice specimen of Degenia velebetia (will post picture later on) - if you want some seed, just pm me I'll be glad to help out.

And by the way.... Take an extra memory card with you for the Pleiones (and other beauties of course) next time... ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »
David
I noticed the Serapias neglecta was only sown in 2005. It isn't even 2 years old! I wonder how the exhibitor sowed/grew on/ flowered it. If it is that easy how come we don't all have it ;) Lovely thing.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 07:09:24 PM »
David
I noticed the Serapias neglecta was only sown in 2005. It isn't even 2 years old! I wonder how the exhibitor sowed/grew on/ flowered it. If it is that easy how come we don't all have it ;) Lovely thing.

Makes yer want to spit don't it!! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
David
I noticed the Serapias neglecta was only sown in 2005. It isn't even 2 years old! I wonder how the exhibitor sowed/grew on/ flowered it. If it is that easy how come we don't all have it  Lovely thing.
Makes yer want to spit don't it!!

Crikey, I hadn't noticed that! Yes, it is irksome! I don't know enough about Serapias to know if this is correct.... seems helluva fast to me... can some of your orchid chappies out there tell us if this is liable to be true or a slip if the pen ??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 07:26:23 AM »
David
thanks for the swags of pics from SW AGS show!
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:10 AM »
David,

Teh Serapius are good little growers and multipliers.  I have S. lingua which has a finer lip to it, not as broad as the one in your pic.  They grow for me here with little or no care, potting in normal potting mix and left to their own devices without any particular care and attention.  I'm unsure what your quarantine requirements are but I can likely spare a tuber or two at the end of the season (they are just shooting right now, so it will be somewhere near Christmas they they go into dormancy I think).  I can dig up a pic of the flowers on mine if you'd like?

Great pics by the way.  Lovely to see those at this time of year (which is autumn for us).  Here, the first fo the autumn crocus species are starting and I have found the first bud getting close to thinking about opening on the Galanthus reginae-olgae.  It should be about a week ahead of normal this year by the look of it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

SueG

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »
Hi David
lovely pics - thanks for showing us what was going on at the other end of the country
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal