We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South Western AGShow-Saturday 31 March  (Read 8118 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
South Western AGShow-Saturday 31 March
« on: March 29, 2007, 07:50:40 PM »
In Exeter. Any members of the Forum likely to be there?? I shall be going sometime on Saturday, possibly early afternoon, to, as usual; wish I was capable of growing to the quality of the plants on the benches; take a few pictures (if I remember to take the camera!), and to buy some more plants. 

Good Lord, just noticed that I am a "Senior Member". Must be based on verbosity and not quality?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:52:31 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: South Western AGShow-Saturday 31 March
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »
David, "never mind the quality, feel the width"!  Anybody remember the TV comedy programme from a very long time ago that spawned that quote? It was about a pair of tailors, one Irish, one Jewish, starred John Bluthal and Joe Lynch, see this link:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/n/nevermindthequal_1299002290.shtml

But, I digress, hope some forumists will be keeping you company down there in Exeter, David, but most of the more northern types will be making their way to Hexham for the AGS/SRGC show there this coming Saturday, I would think. Just wish we were going to Hexham! It's a great show and the local "Gang" just happen to be some of our dearest friends and a bunch of great growers, to boot!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:24:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 08:13:28 PM »
David, "never mind the quality, feel the width"!  Anybody remember the TV comedy programme from a very long time ago that spawned that quote? It was about a pair of tailors, one Irish, one Jewish, as I recall.

Must have been before my time :D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »
Must have been before my time
Cheeky devil!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »
He certainly IS Maggi, because I remember it vividly. I often think that phrase "never mind....width" applies so well to me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:22 PM »
But what quality IN the width, Lesley!
 Mind you, I'm not sure what it says about us that we can remember a TV programme from forty years ago? Should we be getting out more or are we just mines of (xxxxxxx) information?
I can sing the jingle of a truly awful advertisement for Raelbrook shirts from about 1962. Only has one line of words, repeated to a cheery tune but I still find it coming into my head as I work!
And while I am digressing on the subject of advertising... why doesn't Budwieser bring back those fabulous lizard/chamealeon adverts they used to run? They were a classic series... never seen better. Never actually made me buy the beer.... oops, there may be a clue there then... everyone loved the adverts but nobody bought the beer?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »
A collection of pictures from todays South Western AG Show held in Exeter. Sorry about the quality of some of them. I had meant to collect plant names as I went along and post them with the pictures, but with the best will in the world it was impossible without completely holding up the flow of visitors around the tables. Sorry"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 09:15:56 PM »
... and more from the SW AGS
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »
and finally yet more South West AG Show
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »
Great plants David thank You  ;D
Hope enjoyed it even though shoting pics. Great job it makes life better for us that missed the show
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 09:47:02 PM »
David, many thanks for your speedy return from the show and generous efforts to get us these pictures so quickly. I am looking forward to studying them happily, to get a flavour of the season in the far south!!
Hope you had some free time from your journalistic efforts to buy yourself a plant or two as a keepsake of the day?!!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:00:08 AM »
Well done David, a great collection and showing so much variation. Me being me, I liked best the two irises. The first looked like I. sari or perhaps I. meda? Oncocyclus anyway, and the sp. nova, a juno, is delightful. So fine and elegant. Many thanks for them all though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »
David, many thanks for your speedy return from the show and generous efforts to get us these pictures so quickly. I am looking forward to studying them happily, to get a flavour of the season in the far south!!
Hope you had some free time from your journalistic efforts to buy yourself a plant or two as a keepsake of the day?!!

Spent far too much and could have spent so much more!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
Great job David ! Thanks a lot for showing us around. :D
Great to see a potful of Pleione on a show bench at least - they don't seem to be all that popular anymore  :'(

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »
Luc there could have been more Pleoine but I filled my camera card :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal